What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What's wrong with this picture?

fl-mike

Well Known Member
At least I discovered it before it got closed in.

Attachments

• IMG_4052.jpg
    IMG_4052.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 764
Seen it often!

Good catch, I have seen many over the years..usually found way after install, and in a &^%$ location to replace.

You can tap it, but it wont be locking then. I have tapped them and put fastener in with locktite. Be sure they are correct starting hole size for the tap. I'm pretty sure they are rolled threads from MFG, then "crushed" for the locking feature.

Threadless screw

That for one of them newfangled threadless screws. Torque to 0 in lbs.
Seriously, that's why I check every one with a screw and boelube.

Found some too

I installed two like this on my port inspection plate. Didn’t find them until last night. I tested the replacements and found two more in the bag prior to riveting them on. Glad I tested them first... the second time.

I was about to post the EXACT same thing today! I too found a couple nutplates without threads and of course, found them AFTER I finished riveting them in place. I was wondering how common this problem is. My -14A empennage kit was delivered in late Sept 2020. Perhaps Van's got a bad batch?

You can tap it, but it wont be locking then. I have tapped them and put fastener in with locktite. Be sure they are correct starting hole size for the tap. I'm pretty sure they are rolled threads from MFG, then "crushed" for the locking feature.

You can tap it with a Spirolock tap to have the self-locking feature.

I've never found one that was not threaded. If I did, I would catch it during my install process because I use a short screw with a jam nut on it as kind of a holder, assures that it is centered in the (tight) clearance hole.

I position the plate nut with a cleco, then put the short screw in by hand until it gets tight at the locking squeeze. Then I spin the jam nut down on to the skin to keep the plate nut pulled up tight. Then the second attach hole is ready to rivet.

Aside from insuring that the plate nut lines up with the clearance hole, this process would immediately detect one that didn't get threaded.

I've never found one that was not threaded. If I did, I would catch it during my install process because I use a short screw with a jam nut on it as kind of a holder, assures that it is centered in the (tight) clearance hole.

I position the plate nut with a cleco, then put the short screw in by hand until it gets tight at the locking squeeze. Then I spin the jam nut down on to the skin to keep the plate nut pulled up tight. Then the second attach hole is ready to rivet.

Aside from insuring that the plate nut lines up with the clearance hole, this process would immediately detect one that didn't get threaded.

Used this method since I found out on my very first nutplate install that the threads don't necessarily align with the clearance hole if one of the rivets gets squozen more than few mrad off plumb. :mad:

Used this method since I found out on my very first nutplate install that the threads don't necessarily align with the clearance hole if one of the rivets gets squozen more than few mrad off plumb. :mad:

+2. Me too, Maybe this is a west coast thing?

I was wondering how common this problem is. My -14A empennage kit was delivered in late Sept 2020. Perhaps Van's got a bad batch?

Nutplates without threads go back to the Wright Brothers (OK, slight exaggeration). Experienced builders check every nutplate before installing them. The problem will be eliminated when they get robots to make the nutplates. :)

Last edited:

Yes, true!

Also remember that in many places, the screws are supposed to carry shear through an assembly of parts, and it does this by bearing on the sides of the hole. If you open up the clearance hole so the screw goes in easily, then it is not transmitting shear properly, and you have only clamping friction left to do that -- not a good plan for shear strength.

cross threading stainless hardware

Cross threaded a stainless screw into the nut plate and then overtorqued it with a drill

Then, in removing the nutplates, drilled too deep and off center instead of breaking the head off

Back