What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV/IAC Aerobatic Competition Standings - 2021

ronschreck

Well Known Member
I'm hoping for a much better season than 2020 which found all but a few contests cancelled due to the pandemic. The first contest of 2021 found two RV pilots among the contestants. Mike Lopez has been tutored by Intermediate RV competitor, Bill McLean and Bill even loaned Mike his RV-4 to compete in his very first contest. Mike was headed for a first or second finish in the Primary category after two flights with an average score of 80.1% but a cracked aileron hinge grounded the plane and Mike had to sit out the third flight. Bummer.

Randy King, flying his fine looking RV-8 finished fifth of six contestants in the Sportsman category. All six competitors finished with scores within 8%. Sportsman has become a very competitive category and we see everything from Cubs to Extras. Getting beat by an Extra is no shame but beating an Extra is the ultimate source of pride, not to mention bragging rights! Keep your eyes on Randy. He has a few Extras in his sights. (I should mention that Jerry Esquenazi finished first in the Intermediate category but left his RV-8 at home and flew his new Extra 300S. Check six Jerry! Randy is targeting you.)

Last edited:
Nice recap Ron. But one minor correction... I finished 1st in Intermediate, not Sportsman. And yes, you’re correct, it’s always more satisfying beating someone in a more capable airplane. The Extra just seems so out of place in Sportsman. Randy was up against a very nice Extra 300LP. And Mike Lopez flew very well flying Bill’s RV-4.

In Intermediate, we only had a total of 4 competitors flying a Giles 202, an MX2 (a 6 cylinder version of the 202), an Extra 330SC (which is the current ultimate version of the Extra), and myself flying the Extra 300S. I won 1st in the Known, 3rd in the Free, 1st in the Unknown, and 1st Overall. Not bad for my first contest in a new to me airplane!

I feel a bit like an RV defector. But I still have my beloved RV-8 and always will. Now that Ron has let the cat out of the bag, I guess I owe you some pictures of my new ride. All I can say is, WOW! The airplane is far more capable than I presently am. It will do anything you want it to. I’m looking forward to growing into it.

Attachments

• 3EB051A1-5205-4331-BAF1-1507FDA48B45.jpeg
    3EB051A1-5205-4331-BAF1-1507FDA48B45.jpeg
    97.4 KB · Views: 145
  • 8BF413DF-A809-4B9F-A205-A712BDCF2989.jpg
    8BF413DF-A809-4B9F-A205-A712BDCF2989.jpg
    444.2 KB · Views: 189
  • 467459D5-2696-4643-AEA9-4EA4EA7AAB77.jpg
    467459D5-2696-4643-AEA9-4EA4EA7AAB77.jpg
    418 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Nice recap Ron. But one minor correction... I finished 1st in Intermediate, not Sportsman...

I stand corrected. I can't imagine you slipping back into Sportsman with that new ride. The "move up" calls would be deafening!

Correction made.

Way to go, Jerry......
You make us at the Falcon RV Squadron proud of you!!
Keep climbing (and mastering) your competition aerobatics ladder...
Well done,
Waldo

I stand corrected. I can't imagine you slipping back into Sportsman with that new ride. The "move up" calls would be deafening!

Correction made.

Ha, ha! Yeah, I can imagine. Some of the guys are already jokingly saying “move up!” Perhaps it’s a little to soon.

Way to go, Jerry......
You make us at the Falcon RV Squadron proud of you!!
Keep climbing (and mastering) your competition aerobatics ladder...
Well done,
Waldo

Thank you Waldo. I feel like I have the whole squadron behind me! Everyone has been extremely supportive. You guys rock!

Back