What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VS808PP Doubler

ECAM

Patron
Hello,
I am a brand new RV14 builder, just starting to build the vertical stabilizer. The VS808PP doubler is banana shaped. I have straighten it , but it not perfectly flat. Should I be concerned.
Thanks
Phil

Section 5 (5.13.1) explains the procedure for straightening thick parts that are curved in the manufacturing process. Spec stated there is "within 1/16 inch along its entire length". I think you’ll get a feel for “straight enough” with practice. My experience is if you can easily cleco it straight to the mating part without deforming that part, it works out just fine.

https://www.vansaircraft.com/service-information-and-revisions/5/

Last edited:
I wouldn't use the whang procedure on the doubler. The bow it over your thighs until it is straight. Because it rivets to the rear vstab spar, which is then riveted to the ribs and skin, it doesn't need to be perfect.

I don't think I looked for 1/16 on this part, just got it lose and cleco'ed in. I've heard of builders just clecoing it in without shaping it and being fine too.

I didn't want to do the "Whack" method either. .I was afraid it would leave marks from where the vice ended. I just took the curve out over my knee..

The rest of the spar will straighten this piece. Not necessary to "whang" it. I didn't use the "whang" method until the long HS attachment bars in section 10. It really did work. Just go slow and incrementally (about 1" at a time) moving the piece in the vice between "whangs".

Do you have Rubber Magnetic Vise Jaws?

Attachments

• 81vowzrqNJL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    81vowzrqNJL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 152
Back