What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help configuring 650xi

Flyyak

Well Known Member
Friend
Just installed Garmin 650xi in place of a 430W. Good news is that there was no smoke when powered up. Bad news is that Section 5 of installation manual is way above my head. I have a dual screen non touch G3X, GMA240 audio and a GTX23ES transponder that talked flawlessly with the 430W. I am sure that others have upgraded navigators in a like manner, so is there a checklist available to help with 429 ARNIC and RS232 settings and other settings. I could not locate my equipment in the equipment list in the installation manual.

I had a pin to pin drawing from the 430 pins to the 650 pins and I was very careful to remove one pin at a time and reinstall each pin in 650 connectors as they were removed. I was required to add additional power and ground wires but I think all went well. I have COM just at a loss with configuration.

I also had previously installed a pin/wire in GSU73 for a go around button but it was not supported by the 430. Will the 650 support the go around function?

GTN 650 Xi Configuration

Just installed Garmin 650xi in place of a 430W. Good news is that there was no smoke when powered up. Bad news is that Section 5 of installation manual is way above my head. I have a dual screen non touch G3X, GMA240 audio and a GTX23ES transponder that talked flawlessly with the 430W. I am sure that others have upgraded navigators in a like manner, so is there a checklist available to help with 429 ARNIC and RS232 settings and other settings. I could not locate my equipment in the equipment list in the installation manual.

I had a pin to pin drawing from the 430 pins to the 650 pins and I was very careful to remove one pin at a time and reinstall each pin in 650 connectors as they were removed. I was required to add additional power and ground wires but I think all went well. I have COM just at a loss with configuration.

I also had previously installed a pin/wire in GSU73 for a go around button but it was not supported by the 430. Will the 650 support the go around function?

You can find the configuration information for interfacing a GTN 650/Xi to the G3X Touch on page 27-40 of the G3X Touch Installation Manual. This provides all of the configuration settings you will need for both units to support communication between the two.

Yes the GTN will support a TO/GA input, by assigning a discrete input to Remote Go Around. If you have GSA 28 servos installed in your aircraft, you can use a DPST switch to provide a ground to both the G3X Touch and the GTN discrete inputs to provide the TO/GA command to both the autopilot and the navigator at the same time.

Please feel free to shoot us an email at [email protected] if you would like, we are happy to help.

Thanks,

Justin

Thanks. I spoke to a member this AM with G3xpert and received this info. I have configured and will soon try a test flight.

Back