What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Squeak/ groan from right gear

Redbud40

Well Known Member
Sounds like a squeak coming from down near right gear area. Brakes not dragging. Not constant but my guess something with gear wheel tire. Oddly you can only hear it in the plane. I could not hear anything towing airplane into hangar and turning it around to face out. ?????? Suggestions

Mike

My guess is that the leg needs grease on the cylindrical contact areas. Pull the leg and use whatever grease Van's recommends, I recall it being some sort of heavy/thick grease.

Brake Sound Cured

I had a similar situation. On my 600+ hr RV7A. New pads and new disks did not fix the problem. At my last condition inspection I noticed that the main gear metal "fairing holder" had some rub marks on it. Slightly bending this component in the direction to avoid contact with the brake disc seems to have solved the problem. I must note that I had to rebuild the right pilot master cylinder during the same maintenance, but don't think that was the noise source.

I found two things on my -7 that you might want to check.

1. The bolt that secures the gear leg into the engine mount (AN5-21A) had become loose. The powder coating at bolt hole was a little thick and had failed with the heat and as a result the bolt lost torque. The effect of this allowed the gear leg to rotate slightly and "scrub" allowing more toe out than spec. Removed bolt & nut and discovered that some of the grease I used to facilitate insertion of the gear leg had migrated into the bolt threads. I cleaned out the socket with some degreaser and installed a new bolt and 2 washers (plans call for 1, but that wasn't enough with my gear weldments).

2. Matco Brake slaves have two pins that connect the inner piston assembly with the wheel brake flange - I noticed that these two pins dragged a bit which in turn caused the brake pad on the tire side to drag. A little LPS here seemed to resolve the issue.

Cheers!

I am not the builder, does any one have a diagram handy of the 6a gear that would identify this and the weldement bolt. Heard that might cause groaning as well. Pretty sure I know which one it is but thought a pic would be handy to confirm. Thanks.
Mike

does any one have a diagram handy of the 6a gear that would identify this and the weldement bolt. Heard that might cause groaning as well. Pretty sure I know which one it is but thought a pic would be handy to confirm. Thanks.
Mike

The mai gear leg bolts on a -6A are in the weldment just forward of the wing spars, under your knee as you sit in the seat. Single bolt through the gear leg. Hard to miss.

Back