What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slider Canopy Leak - need recommendations

mtnflyr

I own but did not build a 6A completed in '95. On a cross country from Colorado to Maine I discovered the original builder didn't put any sealant between the plexiglass and the frame of my slider canopy. We got some heavy rain and the water literally poured in, wicking through the narrow space. Now I need to figure out how to seal the long ago assembled canopy and frame.

I was thinking of doing something like taping the frame and the plexiglass on the exterior, leaving a very narrow crack where I could apply some sealant and then use a vacuum cleaner hose applied to the inside of the canopy to suck the sealant into the space between the plexiglass and the frame. If the sealant was relatively low viscosity, it might wick into the space between frame and plexiglass or be pulled in with the vacuum. That's one theory.

Has anyone had to solve this kind of problem? Is there a sealant that would work for this purpose? I really don't want to disassemble the canopy to apply sealant if I absolutely don't have to.

Help!

Need more info, My bet is it is not between the slider frame and the Plexi that you need to seal.
What part of the canopy was the water coming in at?
Any pics of your canopy fairing fit? Canopy to rollbar, side skirts and rear skirts?

I just redid the sealant between the plexi and the painted part with Black rtv. Initially I didn’t think it was sticking too well, but it appears to be holding up after 10 hours or so.

Back