What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canadians flying in the US

Pave Tim

A friend is wanting to come down to do some flying here in the states...any "unique" requirements to do that? They would be flying a US registered airplane...

This should be confirmed via official sources, but discussing with a CFI at the flying club here...

To be PIC in an N registered aircraft, you need to have a US pilots license. My CFI has done so, and said that he was only required to do a knowledge test (no flight test) to make sure that the slight differences in airspace and procedures are understood. The plane doesn't know when it crosses the border or when a new registration is pasted on the side... but ATC does :rolleyes:.

He said it wasn't particularly difficult if prepared.
Of course, different FSDO's may make up their own rules, so it should probably be checked with them.

I got my American PPL based on my Canadian ATPL at the FSDO in Detroit . I guess I looked smart enough and was able to avoid any embarrassing questions !

Marc

Or risk a kick in the pants....:D

Check the AOPA website, as they have some information on international flying. COPA might have similar stuff. General rules are similar.

cheers,
greg

Greg ,

Would that the same as "a boot" in the pants !

Marc

This should be confirmed via official sources, but discussing with a CFI at the flying club here...

To be PIC in an N registered aircraft, you need to have a US pilots license. My CFI has done so, and said that he was only required to do a knowledge test (no flight test) to make sure that the slight differences in airspace and procedures are understood. The plane doesn't know when it crosses the border or when a new registration is pasted on the side... but ATC does :rolleyes:.

He said it wasn't particularly difficult if prepared.
Of course, different FSDO's may make up their own rules, so it should probably be checked with them.

But the original post says...

A friend is wanting to come down to do some flying here in the states...any "unique" requirements to do that? They would be flying a US registered airplane...

ATC knows which side of the border his flights would be on...:)

The FSDO should be able to read the FAR

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/tex...v8&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.1.2.2.1.10&idno=14

It is actually remarkably easy considering it's the govt. here to help you....:)

I think this bit requires the Flight Review (aka BFR)

(1) May act as pilot in command of a civil aircraft of the United States in accordance with the pilot privileges authorized by this part and the limitations placed on that U.S. pilot certificate;

My own US certificate is not valid without the correct Flight Review....

Last edited:
Back