What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Kit Shipping Costs

ManCave

I ordered the Tail and Wings. With an expected lead time difference of 3 months, I'm going to see if Van's can adjust to have them completed/crated at the same time.
I'm wondering what shipping costs were for recent kit shipments. It may be worth my time to spend a few days driving a U-Haul or trailer back vs shipping (and potential damage during transport). I'm in IA.

I asked when I paid for the wings on an rv9, was told $700-800 shipping, but that's to Michigan. Haven't been given the actual cost yet though.

small trailer

Got my kits in two trips emp/wing one trip. Fuse/finish second trip. Built a trailer just big enough to fit the largest crate. Was a light trailer useing a SAAB axel I already had.Three 3"x 6' length of C channel. One length of square tubeing schedule 40 for the tongue (not sure of length) Used my VW Jetta. Took off the plastic bumper cover bolted a diamond plate with tab sticking back with 2" ball for a hitch. Ski rack with 2" rachet straps going thru windows for the spar box with long angle aluminun pices. Drove freeway speeds getting 34-38 mpg. Colorado trip to Oregon and back no doubt it was the best way to keep cost down. Will be doing it again if the RV15 hits the market before I get to old. Also used my car to drive to Boone, Iowa to pickup a Lycoming at TBO for core price from their CAP plane. Save it where you can, spend it where you want.

Back