What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Compasses

Dayton Murdock

Well Known Member
Hi Guys
When I turn on the power to the main buss in my RV4 my compass swings. Is there a solution for this problem?

And the solution is---

Distance.

Move the compass.

Next best bet, adjust out the power on error, by using a compass rose, and set the compass with the master on.

Mike

Compass

Thanks for the reply Mike. Moving the compass is the last thing I want to do. If I have to I will; But, I want to explore other options before that. What is MU metal? I understand wires can be shielded with it. Is there a good remote compass out there? Will a electronic compass function in a aircraft? If anyone has some experience with these products please reply.

?

Move the compass somewhere so it reacts better... and do your compass swing with everything running just like flight... at a decent rpm too.... Get a local A&P to help you do the compass swing...
I'd be glad to help but I dont think I'm anywhere near you....
Brian
ps. Now if you reallllllly feel like flying down to Atlanta... I'll give you a hand.

You can nearly eliminate the magnetic field by running power and ground wires together, or even twisted around each other, if it's practical to do so. The currents flowing in opposite directions generate opposite fields which cancel out.

Dayton Murdock said:
Thanks for the reply Mike. Moving the compass is the last thing I want to do. If I have to I will; But, I want to explore other options before that. What is MU metal? I understand wires can be shielded with it. Is there a good remote compass out there? Will a electronic compass function in a aircraft? If anyone has some experience with these products please reply.

http://www.mushield.com/raw_materials.html

More info by Googling it.

Expensive, and as a wild guess, hard to work with for the application you are thinking of.

Try twisting the wires as mentioned above----------low cost, quick, simple.

Good luck,
Mike

I happen to have a small, unused piece of MuShield that I was going to send back to spruce...let me know if you want it. It is a rectangular piece about 18 x 4.

Back