What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Independent Anti-collision light

Rich1100S

Anyone putting a dedicated anti-collision light on? Independent of wing tip strobes. I was thinking of a Piper belly strobe type of setup.

Beacon light

I put a Cessna style flashing beacon light on my vertical stabilizer.

I did it for two reasons...
First, I think wing tip strobes are annoying while on the ground especially at night (and to other pilots)
Second, if one Strobe lights fails you no longer meet the FAR requirements for 'field of view' coverage for lighting systems. The single beacon light meets those requirements and is a great backup anti-collision light to be legal for night operations (with a strobe inop)

First, I think wing tip strobes are annoying while on the ground especially at night (and to other pilots)

That's what I was thinking. I've always been told that the use of wingtip strobes anyplace other than the runway or in flight was poor etiquette.

Also white flashing lights in a cloud at night is really annoying.

I'm thinking about it...

...Having a beacon light on the belly of my 10, or the top of the cockpit. Haven't decided yet. I like the Aveo Engineering Mini-Baron. It's super small, lightweight and bright. Their Red Baron, which is much larger, is way more light than the traditional Cessna/Piper style ones, but way less drag. They even make a super tiny one that's the same size as the tail strobe light, but red, which could be really nice on the vertical stab. Again, haven't made my mind up yet, but I really enjoy night flying...

If you fly at night, I can just about guarantee you will turn it off. The reflection in the cockpit will get annoying.

It works on a Piper because they don't have a bubble canopy.

Besides, why add warts that slow you down?

LED strobes don't tend to burn out like the old ones did.

At night, I turn on my strobes on the ground to warn of an impending engine start, turn them off after startup (if someone is around), and backon when I take the active.

...Having a beacon light on the belly of my 10, or the top of the cockpit. Haven't decided yet. I like the Aveo Engineering Mini-Baron. It's super small, lightweight and bright. Their Red Baron, which is much larger, is way more light than the traditional Cessna/Piper style ones, but way less drag. They even make a super tiny one that's the same size as the tail strobe light, but red, which could be really nice on the vertical stab. Again, haven't made my mind up yet, but I really enjoy night flying...

I was looking at the Aveo mini, and it would be mounted on the bottom. I agree that putting it on top of the fuselage or the vertical stab would not work with the bubble canopy.

I'm not sure of the FAR but I think you need some form of a anti-collision light going at all times while the engine is running.

I'm not sure of the FAR but I think you need some form of a anti-collision light going at all times while the engine is running.

Not so. You will want to turn off the lights when flying in the clouds and maybe some other situations.

OK, let's say all you have is wingtip strobes, It's a beautiful VFR day, you turn on the strobes, start the engine, then turn them off for taxi.

Now let's say the FAA shows up "to help" and he asks why you don't have your anti-collision lights on. PIC answer is it would adversely affect others. FAA cites CFR 91.13, careless and reckless for not having some form of anti-collision light on. Not sure Joe Pilot is going to win this argument.

I'm going to check with my airline pilot friends, but I can't remember a time when I've seen a airliner moving without the beacon going.

In the end, this may be a "best practices" type of issue.

But regulations aside I really just wanted to know if anyone else had done this and maybe see some photos. I wasn't looking for someone to question me for wanting to be safer during ground operations.

I have a strobe....

from a Cessna mounted on the bottom. You can see it below the turtle deck antenna in this photo:

25sq6nc.jpg

Unless I am flying formation I always have my wingtip strobes on. I turn on the belly strobe when I think about it.... :rolleyes:

OK, let's say all you have is wingtip strobes, It's a beautiful VFR day, you turn on the strobes, start the engine, then turn them off for taxi.

Now let's say the FAA shows up "to help" and he asks why you don't have your anti-collision lights on. PIC answer is it would adversely affect others. FAA cites CFR 91.13, careless and reckless for not having some form of anti-collision light on. Not sure Joe Pilot is going to win this argument.

I'm going to check with my airline pilot friends, but I can't remember a time when I've seen a airliner moving without the beacon going.

In the end, this may be a "best practices" type of issue.

But regulations aside I really just wanted to know if anyone else had done this and maybe see some photos. I wasn't looking for someone to question me for wanting to be safer during ground operations.
I don't worry about it because on a "beautiful VFR day", they would stay on. Only at night, would I turn them off and then, only on a busy ramp. Just like I only turn on my taxi light while moving around the ramp at night and turn on both lights when taking the runway, again at night.

During the day, I turn on both the taxi and landing lights when I take the active but the strobe will stay on from before engine start until after engine shut down. That is, unless I'm flying formation with someone and they are bothering the wingman. (I don't know how Team Aerodynamix flies formation at night with those strobes going off in their faces.)

If you want an anti-collision light, put one on. It's your plane, build it the way you want and the way that makes you feel comfortable. I'm just pointing out that you don't need one and that most people don't put one on their planes. Again, you don't need to follow the crowd, that's the beauty of homebuilding!

I put a red beacon on top of my RV-10. It does not cause a problem in the cockpit at night. I was used to operating as recommended in AIM 4-3-23 para. D while flying professionally, and wanted to be able to do so on my airplane. Red beacon comes on to signal engine is going to be started. Position lights join the beacon as soon as engine is started. Everything on for takeoff. Strobes on the ground at night are an irritant to me.

As Stein would say....."My $0.02 worth"

I have wing tip strobes that provide legal coverage and also a separate red belly strobe for ground ops. These are all on the same power supply and a simple "ground/flight" switch allows me to run the belly until I get to the runway environment, then run all three for flight. The belly is always on, acting as a warning to bystanders as well as a reminder the master is on.

I almost rear ended an rv7 with my Piper Cherokee on a taxiway one night. I did not see him one dark night until dangerously close! He was taxiing slow and did not have his white strobes on, no doubt out of professional courtesy. There is a red led beacon on the top of my RV9 vertical stab and the switch is always on!

Last edited:
Thought this might help, from the AIM:

4-3-23. Use of Aircraft Lights

a. Aircraft position lights are required to be lighted on aircraft operated on the surface and in flight from sunset to sunrise. In addition, aircraft equipped with an anti-collision light system are required to operate that light system during all types of operations (day and night). However, during any adverse meteorological conditions, the pilot-in-command may determine that the anti-collision lights should be turned off when their light output would constitute a hazard to safety (14 CFR Section 91.209). Supplementary strobe lights should be turned off on the ground when they adversely affect ground personnel or other pilots, and in flight when there are adverse reflection from clouds.

b. An aircraft anti-collision light system can use one or more rotating beacons and/or strobe lights, be colored either red or white, and have different (higher than minimum) intensities when compared to other aircraft. Many aircraft have both a rotating beacon and a strobe light system.

c. The FAA has a voluntary pilot safety program, Operation Lights On, to enhance the see-and-avoid concept. Pilots are encouraged to turn on their landing lights during takeoff; i.e., either after takeoff clearance has been received or when beginning takeoff roll. Pilots are further encouraged to turn on their landing lights when operating below 10,000 feet, day or night, especially when operating within 10 miles of any airport, or in conditions of reduced visibility and in areas where flocks of birds may be expected, i.e., coastal areas, lake areas, around refuse dumps, etc. Although turning on aircraft lights does enhance the see-and-avoid concept, pilots should not become complacent about keeping a sharp lookout for other aircraft. Not all aircraft are equipped with lights and some pilots may not have their lights turned on. Aircraft manufacturer's recommendations for operation of landing lights and electrical systems should be observed.

d. Prop and jet blast forces generated by large aircraft have overturned or damaged several smaller aircraft taxiing behind them. To avoid similar results, and in the interest of preventing upsets and injuries to ground personnel from such forces, the FAA recommends that air carriers and commercial operators turn on their rotating beacons anytime their aircraft engines are in operation. General aviation pilots using rotating beacon equipped aircraft are also encouraged to participate in this program which is designed to alert others to the potential hazard. Since this is a voluntary program, exercise caution and do not rely solely on the rotating beacon as an indication that aircraft engines are in operation.

e. Prior to commencing taxi, it is recommended to turn on navigation, position, anti*collision, and logo lights (if equipped). To signal intent to other pilots, consider turning on the taxi light when the aircraft is moving or intending to move on the ground, and turning it off when stopped or yielding to other ground traffic. Strobe lights should not be illuminated during taxi if they will adversely affect the vision of other pilots or ground personnel.

f. At the discretion of the pilot*in*command, all exterior lights should be illuminated when taxiing on or across any runway. This increases the conspicuousness of the aircraft to controllers and other pilots approaching to land, taxiing, or crossing the runway. Pilots should comply with any equipment operating limitations and consider the effects of landing and strobe lights on other aircraft in their vicinity.

g. When entering the departure runway for takeoff or to ?line up and wait,? all lights, except for landing lights, should be illuminated to make the aircraft conspicuous to ATC and other aircraft on approach. Landing lights should be turned on when takeoff clearance is received or when commencing takeoff roll at an airport without an operating control tower.

Back