What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RTV vs Tank Sealant for the wingtips

DanWright

Well Known Member
Finishing up the wing tips lights. Per the plans the underside is sealed with tank sealant. Mine has gone bad. Is RTV adequate?

Thanks,

As others said, RTV is no good. I would use a DAP sealant today and not mess with the ProSeal on these lights. The stuff is flexible, paintable and you can easily wipe it off before it's cured.
IMG_0258.JPG

I believe that Van's sells small containers of ProSeal. One small container should be more than enough for the two wing tip light seals.

Purpose for ProSeal here?

Is it for structural bonding or sealing out water or dampening the vibration of the 2 dis-simular materials ie FG and aluminum or?

I believe that Van's sells small containers of ProSeal. One small container should be more than enough for the two wing tip light seals.

I was unaware of that. I ordered some. I had a hard time getting a new can for such a small job.

Thanks,

Dan

The wing tips have always posed a mystery to me. With such a beautiful and sophisticated design WHY did Vans leave us with that horrible meeting of wing skin and wingtip near the leading edge!

I ended up cutting off some skin and using Bondo to get a smooth edge. (After it was licensed ELSA)

Back