What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Primer (Fuel, not Paint!)

Mike Coady

Well Known Member
Anybody have a picture of the electric solenoid priming system inline with gascolator? I'm building a 7a and would like to see the installation from the gas platform to the priming lines.
Thanks

I know this is a old post, but I would like to know about this also. I would also like to know where I could get the electric solenoid.

Primer solenoid

Hi, it's Mike from the original post here. I bought the primer system from Vans catalog page 12. It was $135. It was a really simple install. I made my mount out of heavy gave aluminum angle and riveted it to the firewall close to the gascolator. I installed a simple on/off switch and ten amp breaker to the solenoid. The plumbing is all included for the front two cylinders of your lycoming engines. To operate, flip solenoid switch on and then turn boost pump on for the desired amount of time/seconds for priming front two cylinders.
I'm not too sure how much one needs this but for sub zero temps it'll probably be worth it. I live in Illinois and I've started it without prime on 10' days. However, I also installed the sump preheated on my RV for warming the oil. I don't start without preheat under freezing temps. Keep building, it's worth it!

Thanks Mike, I have just been thinking about this. I live in north Alabama so I might not even need it. looks like a sump heater would better for me.

Dannie

Will cause you more problems than it is worth IMHO... ditch the idea :)

I have a solenoid prime system (sorry no pictures) and haven't found any benefit from it. Some day I may take it out. How many seconds of prime are people using? Mine feeds 3 cylinders. I have verified that it is feeding fuel with solenoid open.

What has worked is: starter engaged, prop turning, 2 quick pushes on the throttle to the wall. I preheat when temps hit freezing.

Jim

I have a 3 cylinder solenoid prime system that has been in use for 250 hours without any issues. 3-4 seconds of prime and my engine starts almost immediately. Yes you can start the engine by using the accelerator pump on your carb. However, miss your start or pump before you crank the engine and you can end up with pool of AVGAS in your FAB.

Why chance an engine fire when you can start with your primer lines?

Primer injection

My engine came equipped with a primer nozel in each cylinder so I have the primer system calibrated to deliver 2 gph/cylinder (8 gph total) at 5psi in my o320. Should my carb ever fail for whatever reason, I can activate the primer solenoid to act as a poor mans fuel injection. Hopefully it will keep the motor running long enough to make it to an airport. In my early days of flying, the Cherokee wouldn't start in the winter without prime, but those were the days of single weight oil, Prestolite heavy slow turning starters, no electronic ignition, and no preheat available. May be different in today's world!

picture

I used an elbow and a solid brass nipple from the gascolator to the solenoid along with an adel clamp on the firewall!
ibktqs.jpg

Back