What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Getting Emp. kits to Australia.

G'Day.

Just wondering if their are any Aussie builders who can give advice on getting emp kits to Australia.
I have a few questions:
Did you just order from Van's and let them sort it out or did you organise your own shipping?
How much did it cost and were there any issues with customs?
How long did it take?
What was the process when it arrived in Australia?

At the moment a mate and I are getting an 8 emp kit each and there maybe a third guy starting as well with 7 emp. kit. We're trying to order together to save on shipping costs. We will be ordering at the end of November.

Any information would be a huge help.

Andrew Griffin said:
G'Day.

Just wondering if their are any Aussie builders who can give advice on getting emp kits to Australia.
I have a few questions:
Did you just order from Van's and let them sort it out or did you organise your own shipping?
How much did it cost and were there any issues with customs?
How long did it take?
What was the process when it arrived in Australia?

At the moment a mate and I are getting an 8 emp kit each and there maybe a third guy starting as well with 7 emp. kit. We're trying to order together to save on shipping costs. We will be ordering at the end of November.

Any information would be a huge help.

Go to the RVs_in_Aus site and ask the question.

http://au.groups.yahoo.com/group/RVs_in_Aus/messages

I think you'll find that it is cheaper to airfreight the empennage kit than to seafreight it. I also think you'll find that Vans send their empennage kits to Australia by airfreight as standard practice for that very reason.

Don't worry too much about the empennage kit....it's small change. The freight on the rest of the kit to Australia is horrendous....sea or air.

I am in South Africa, so I can relate, same kind of distances, i.e Far and Southern hemisphere

Let me tell you what most guys do here in South Africa.

Get Vans to Air freight the emp kit to you they handle everything, it arrives ussually within 7-14 days, and you pay the agent on your side for custom duties etc

At the same time if you don't have tools yet, get it airfreighted to you as well. Buy a RV tool kit from some of the good suppliers. Cleaveland delivered mine airfreight also within 7-14 days.

You pay a little more, but then you get it quick and can start, within a week or two. This shipping cost and duration is nothing compared to the rest of the kit that will have to go on the water, and take weeks and big money to get accross the big pond!

Order your next portion i.e. wings ASAP. there is a lead time on them from vans, + weeks on the water. So by the time they get to you, you would have had enough time to complete your empennage.

Kind Regards
Rudi

Last edited:
Andy

I received my emp kit from Vans in August. The cost of air freight (Sydney) was about AU$260 however you also have to pay GST on the invoiced cost/freight - AU$320. Vans organized the shipping with Bax Global. Maybe you may have to pay a local freight component being outside a metro area. No issues with customs as long as you pay the admin costs and tax :mad: The emp took about 2 weeks to get here.
I am expecting the delivery of the QB fus, wings and finishing kit tommorow. They left Vans on Oct 5. I had everything shipped in one lot including accessories/F.F kit. The total cost getting them here including GST, local delivery, customs clearance etc,etc AU$10,000. :mad: I have been quoted US$1000 air freight for my engine to Sydney airport from Aero Sport Power in Canada.
I hope this is not too much of a dampner for you.

Regards

Anthony Baldry

QB Kits.

Look up Phil Anderton's site, he lives in Manilla (NSW) and he did it all last year and wrote it up. Good to see so much interest down here. I bought an RV-4 kit from Canberra, much easier. :D

Thanks for all of the information. It is greatly appreciated. I have managed to find some excellent info from the sites you directed me to. Thank you also to those who took the time to sent me emails regarding this issue.

I had my emp, wings and fuse kits air-freighted by Bax to my door and it seems to be the best option.
Andy, seeing you're on the Sunshine Coast, are you aware there's a local SAAA chapter here? We meet every two months. A good bunch of blokes, some very knowledgeable.

Shipping to Australia

I work for Bax Global in Greenville, S.C. and I'm building an RV6 my brother just order a 10.
Bax Global, Inc.
85 O'riordan St
Alexandria, NSW 2015
Australia
phone 61-2-9598-9000
Fax 61-2-9669-3618
E-mail: [email protected]
Nathan is the Import Air Supervisor :)

G'day Conor,

I am a new member of the Caboolture aero club and have seen the notices around the place for SAAA chapter 22. Is this the chapter your talking about? I read how many RV's were being built by these guys in the last aero club newsletter and have been meaning to get in contact. When is the next meeting and is anyone allowed to rock up?

I would love to come along and meet everyone and get some information.
It would be great to meet people in the area with similar interests.

Back