What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Head-Rest seat backs

Daniel S.

Well Known Member
Hey all-
I'm tossing around some interior ideas. I really like the head rest seat-back frames. Have any of you guys gone down this road on a -7 tip-up? And what are your thoughts, besides the fact that it may be a bit awkward to reach the baggage area in flight. Thoughts / comments?

Thanks all.

One thing to keep in mind......

If you are thinking a safety issue is that head rests only add safety in a rearend collision. Not likely to happen in an airplane.

If you are thinking a safety issue is that head rests only add safety in a rearend collision. Not likely to happen in an airplane.

Suppose you back into something?

besides the fact that it may be a bit awkward to reach the baggage area in flight

I would not take this lightly. Maybe it's just because I'm used to NOT having the headrests, but I consider it a pretty big mark against the idea. On a long x-country flight with a passenger, we're in and out of the baggage area a lot. There's not really any room up front, so all snacks, maps, paperwork, etc is in the back.

I actually went the other way.... I cut down the seat back DOWN so it is only about a 1/2 inch above the brace. Really to reach over and no change in comfort.

I also narrowed them to the width of the 4 seat. This allows me to reach between the seats to get things behind the passenger seat. And gives me plenty of elbow room for my manual flap use...... Narrow seats are only good with manual flaps. This is in a 6A.

I considered it and really glad that I did not go with that option. My initial thought was the added weight did not justify the possible comfort or nice look but for all the reasons the other have mentioned, primary one, access to the back side is outweighs the nice look and I have never found myself wanting/needing to rest my head back during flight.

Hope this helps

I will go the oposite, I have headrest on mine and love it, yes access to the back during flight might be a concern however it is not impossible. When on the ground, my Classic Aero Seats fold as far forward as you want so it gives you as much access as you need.

Overall I love them and wouldent trade them, Oh and they look fantastic.

If you are thinking a safety issue is that head rests only add safety in a rearend collision.

Has this been scientifically proven? Seems to me if you crash, cartwheel, or flip your aircraft, especially at a high speed, anything that reduces the amount your head will pinball and whip around that cockpit must be helpful.

just a thought.

I'm putting removable headrests in my 9a. They will add weight but I think they will look and feel great. It will require a mod to the vans seatback. It's not done yet so details on how it really works aren't there yet! I always wished for them in my Cherokee but wentworth wanted $200 per headrest and then they would have to be reupholstered. Now since I'm not tied to certified parts and am going to the work to build a plane, I'm going to build it the way I want it!

I'm putting headrests in mine so I can set the A/P, sit back and snooze until turning final. Just like I do in the pickup driving across Iowa... set the cruise and catch a nap.

Kidding, I'm kidding!! :D

Back