What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dissolving Rivets!

Guy Prevost

Well Known Member
Has anyone else noticed that rivets dissolve and melt into the concrete when dropped on the workshop floor?

I've discovered that the only way to recover them is to kneel down on the floor. The presence of my knee above the floor causes the rivet to reform instantaneously right before my full weight comes onto it. Ouch!

Guy

that's what happens :confused: Thank you. I can tell my girlfriend to stop looking for the rivets that fall on the garage floor.

At least you find it (although the hard way). Someday in the future they will bulldoze my house and discover a treasure trove of new miscellaneous hardware and about 50 mismatched socks all in one spot...

What you really need to find are those mysterious creatures called Rivet Gnomes. The usually live with the sock and underwear gnomes. :D

There's an aluminum magnet built into the concrete under the back of the workbench. Just out of arms reach. At least that's where mine end up, along with the dust balls I haven't vacuumed up.

After some time it becomes worthwhile to look for dropped rivets because although you won't find the one you dropped, you will find another. ;)

Back