What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Soft rivet

ronoc74

I'm guessing this 426AD3-4 somehow managed to slip past the heat treatment. It was bucked no more than the others and even the manufactured head got squashed!

squashed1.jpg

squashed2.jpg

squashed3.jpg

The 3rd photo is after pushing in a centrepunch by hand.

If you got a bunch of these and set them with a pneumatic squeezer, you might not even notice, except for the squashed manufactured head.

Conor
RV-9A 90990 fuselage

Last edited:
Maybe just an "A" and not an "AD"

Check the Aircraft Spruce catalog for the soft "A" rivet description. One of these could have gotten in your set. The tensile strength is lower than the "AD" rivet.

Bob Axsom

I don't see a dimple (alloy/temper identification) in the mfr'd head. Maybe it got flattened out when you shot it. Or maybe not. If there's no dimple in the head before you shoot it, it ain't an AD.

Even the regular "soft" A rivets aren't that soft, that you could push the center punch in that far by hand. I'd definitly replace that one.

It seemed to be squashed enough to flatten the dimple if there was one. I don't know if I would have noticed an unmarked rivet or not but now I will be on the lookout for any 'A' rivets. This was a pain to remove; it would bend and squash instead of coming out cleanly.

Conor

Back