What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 RG...Hall's Airshow

jmbrwn

Well Known Member
Attended the Hall's Tn (M31) Airshow today and noticed a RV4 RG. Here are some pics for those interested.

HallsAirshow2010073.jpg

HallsAirshow2010007.jpg

HallsAirshow2010008.jpg

HallsAirshow2010009.jpg

HallsAirshow2010011.jpg

HallsAirshow2010014.jpg

HallsAirshow2010016.jpg

Here's rest of pics from Hall's Airshow

http://share.shutterfly.com/share/r...6d82609bf70031ecd658bfd733&sid=9AasnDFy5bqIH4

Wow, that's a lot of work, engineering and cash!!! Would love to see some inflight shots with the gear up.

Definitely an A+ on the cool factor, but it would be interesting to see some un-biased testing to see whether/how much the decreased drag makes up for increased weight...

N8DU is owned by PR "Bob" Gallagher, based at M01, Dewitt-Spain Downtown Airport here in Memphis.

Here's an up close shot:

Barney, in Memphis
RV-4 flying
RV-3 flying

Last edited:
Definitely an A+ on the cool factor, but it would be interesting to see some un-biased testing to see whether/how much the decreased drag makes up for increased weight...

I have a single datapoint.

My rv-8 has the same engine and prop as this airplane, except that I have electronic ignition to his bendix mags. He has high-compression pistons and a cold air intake, while these parts are stock on my airplane. We both have 4-into-1 exhausts, although mine is prettier and I suspect flows better.

I have flown a lot of formation with this airplane (he hangars next to me) and while we are evenly matched in the climb, I can easily pull away from him in cruise or downhill. At WOT down low I have about 5 knots on him, with similar weights. (his empty weight iirc is about 80# more than mine)

Any other RVs?

A number of retractable gear conversions have been done on RV4s. Does anyone know if any have been done on RV6s, or any other RVs?

Cheers,
Andrew.

A number of retractable gear conversions have been done on RV4s. Does anyone know if any have been done on RV6s, or any other RVs?
Bryan Carr, who already built two RV-4s with retractable landing gear, is currently building an RG Rocket. This will be the tenth RV or Rocket that he has built.

RG Rocket

I would think that ,at rocket speeds and the higher power to weight ratio, the RG gear would make a bigger difference in top end performance. I could imangine a HR3 with RG.

CM

Retractable RV-4

It sure looks good but was the spar reinforced to take the extra load of the retraction process???

I believe it was a problem with the Rockwell Commander spar following Rockwell's changes in the design from fix to retractable along the way resulting in cracks in the spar later on..

That is something to consider I would guess..

RG

For anyone interested in experimental RG, here's a good site:
http://www.iflyez.com/InfinityGear.shtml

"Waiter" (his site above) was a big help in solving intermittent problems with the gear on N8DU, subject RV-4RG in this thread.

http://www.ez.org/smf/index.php?PHP...k2hp41&topic=4341.msg11955;topicseen#msg11955

It was some of the EZ guys who helped me decide to go with aluminum-skinned fiberglass fuel tanks to replace the ancient leakers on my RV-3. Not a leak, nor nary a problem, in nearly two years with the new tanks.

Barney, in Memphis
RV-3 flying
RV-4 flying

Excellent!

I have flown into Halls TN on a few occasions. If I recall correctly, it is an old AAF base. The runways were pretty rough with some significant ridges.
There is or was a guy there (Roy Smith) who did static, altimeter transponder certifications. Also there or a few miles from there in Dyersburg is the home of Boss Hoss motorcycles which are powered by the Chevy V8.

Back