What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3x VFR minimum equipment

PilotjohnS

Well Known Member
I am planning a full G3x IFR panel. But I was wondering what is the minimum I can get by with for VFR phase 1? This will be after 2020 so I will need the new transponders.

Minimum or acceptable minimums. Depending on the airspace you are flying in the G3x and an ELT would be the minimum, using the G3x gps for navigation. More practical minimums would be the addition of the transponder and a single com. Then for more comfort add a second com and you can keep going. Fly with the minimum equipment make you comfortable.

I am planning a full G3x IFR panel. But I was wondering what is the minimum I can get by with for VFR phase 1? This will be after 2020 so I will need the new transponders.
Hello John,

There are a great many options, but since you eventually hope to be IFR capable, perhaps it is not too early to start planning for that.

Having 2020 ADS-B Out compliance right out of the gate is something that changes the landscape quite a bit. You could install a basic transmit only 1090ES transponder (GTX 35R), ADS-B position source (GPS 20A), and optional GDL 50R ADS-B traffic/weather receiver, but since you want to eventually have IFR capability, a GNX 375 which provides ADS-B traffic/weather In and ADS-B Out, and a full IFR GPS navigator for a street price of about $7K is certainly something you would want to consider. There is a LOT of capability in that 2 inch high package.

n-F1w1t286aXf5r9Gg42g3FxqcAS83XeNwLAH9E5iM0wldaLMLTa67gqmch9_w25tJtIfxwb8kjes384dlmr51mtbiDcOw1XWxX9H6OLUrEYip9d_PkruPV2M2qX3eksqcO9pDDMeTT3X97uYLQ-_E-yycVpsoU1GPA4YwXWIXxLJOBh5PlC4713XpI6BV-Vse3LGFZF-JwfzMYaSWeGvWkDAIQvf5ZJ0WluGXNGXvzht9bXQj-uNgExUPzBope1kaNRFepzp0XmA-YRANLeuPELwdSa2cDaFaasTBNNOk24XiavN_6kd79UDicNH8wwvFDL9go9jYXUQ_Lv5-WZLsLyqT9baiuE9d0c9jj3cn92Myex4ulnuui-iTQ_pmytBvfr6KmgoRZl7-Q5_JJB1lnqj8-lBL-kWMVF_j8ph9mwqgA--rJ3_bZrB6JHP1QiFRNI5nTszC7mXfQ1KRp09NlJoC0S6QSz2LpOL8G5UtWDu1k0nayM8VU3S6vZ7Nut3_Dc72KTrr--SZhwF7i7xvknxPT_FhHH5wA-Kk__NbRHr4gny0k8dn5iZ8jlS0da5FwUYeNIGsVw7th-0f9RQH4CKz2kdRiTFsGPgsnhCek8IlJLyANxdSjSa9DSx5VODrdQ-co9lqIaFw-f-XT9AD-h4AxkJPEBrlXEY_mU6p8w5HtF464uRlvtL1lCGjRNFZ_4AlcKfXgfiD3Lz-z2UfGCBrzdwPlHZrahjZpMOr-qQA0=w600

There is lots of optional equipment (like the G5, GMC 507, and servos) in this example, but if this includes the full capability you want to eventually have, you could start out buying the parts that are absolutely necessary for Phase I, and add the others later. In addition to this, a GTR 200/200B panel mount or GTR 20 remote mount COM radio with stereo 2 place intercom integrates nicely with all the rest of the equipment.

qWnraP0OYywjt4xjMd7fHFLDY1bOVLN0Bs8t1QRWhVtal962RtKfOcszSPMVo9I4iE-QNl7ux05tDHVZzptgBy5LInkF3425Fzb-_zgzzqr9F_h2o2M-D62NYaTKgD8S1G7cZrQzM0U50K8YcmLt4v9BSLtx91jPfCf5Cm_bGKEHC9Tdhb-FF6XtXq00wo1KdcfRNPBH7TxjKMVAG-rCD-2pKfTjWeEm6mJJwRaiwgEKrLuWVLvUdyNThNZnrEk_VKDTGIAJIKsq1SEpGI32Kp1euW2A4AedNuN3f7Ha27JkmU8OIz-5qyN0zGDf0eT_UgNuZXp2i0pZIat4t4pBZvfKwhlE_7A9lgnBEjR1vV0LuPCa9py2Y0b3XEVHqni1dX6DwKg8LHe5v_Q7BajiXV180ccvjo-L6w015tTVkOJSaRC9lkbfdWT5uT2WC0RwHVrmN0pCwTgH2u0hL85vl1FNW7-Vw4vZicrRcTM-9mdf91la6e-UdgVWaWZ_MJsn_7TQiq6Svf2_CTf75Z2TE8xfb5PnDEG5BX-5BNOVSKLCm1GbK9pGXY9wiaZR6qiqayrTpELF57UNT4e790OlMPji4Fk-jcyezhW2VvAJulcebmakihd9h5WGxFEdfCEz9NegAErCHYMeMHXPDRAz_f9wizQNdGNOZkzV2xbrWNDEu7Jqjp41BCYbM5Ugk5psl72Pcm-BzB_KuySMRPDwrBDpYb_r1SULPLf0ldASlUJlwIU=w640

Please feel free to contact us directly by phone or email if you want to discuss any specific combination of equipment.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Well, to answer your actual question: Legally, you can get by having nothing, zero. (This assumes you?ll fly phase one solo, and avoid class B, C, D, stay outside any mode C veils and below 10,000?). Practically, though, I think you?ll want a com radio, airspeed indicator, engine instruments, altimeter,... just to do the phase 1 testing.
It?s fun to think about, but it doesn?t look like you need to buy anything yet. Put off the purchases as long as possible. New avionics come along all the time.
You have two basic options. (1) Decide on your final panel now, and buy it in bits and pieces, getting first what you need for vfr. Or (2) go with a minimal panel now, planning a complete re-do in the future. While (2) is more expensive, it allows you to do a lot of wiring and work outside the airplane (you literally replace the panel). Working under an existing, installed panel is brutal imho.

More data

So i will need class C and D capability if not during phase 1, then shortly after.
And I would like to not have to redo the panel when I add IFR capability.
So one GDU 460, gtr20 remote radio, gmu11 magnetometer, gea24 engine interface. GTx375 for transponder and navigator.

Will this be enough?

So i will need class C and D capability if not during phase 1, then shortly after.
So one GDU 460, gtr20 remote radio, gmu11 magnetometer, gea24 engine interface. GTx375 for transponder and navigator.

Will this be enough?
Hello John,

That sounds like a good plan to not have to re-do the panel a second time.

You will need a GSU 25C ADAHRS, but that is included in the K10-00016-14 System LRU Kit with GSU 25C ADAHRS, GMU 11 magnetometer, GTP 59 OAT probe, and Configuration Module for a MAP price of $1,500.

You will also need a GAD 29 ARINC 429 interface if you want to use the GNX 375 for approaches. You could probably wait on that, but it would limit the usefulness of the GNX 375, and it is lot of fun to fly practice IFR and Visual approaches with the GNX 375 during your long Phase I period.

Here is a link to our Experimental Solutions Pricing Worksheet if you want to study all the options and create a list before contacting a Garmin dealer.

We are happy to help if you have questions. See email address below.

Thanks,
Steve

John,
Yes, what you listed above is more than adequate to give you a VFR start with capable equipment for transitioning to an IFR panel. The -375 gives you needed ADS-B capability and also provides you with IFR navigation capability for later. You?ll only need/want another attitude backup source - like a G5 and you should be IFR equipped at that point. Other considerations you may want for an IFR panel (but not required): a second COM radio, which will probably require an audio panel for control; an autopilot; pitot heat. The -375 is all you really need for navigating IFR. The G3X has an internal GPS as an emergency backup in case your -375 quits, although it is not an IFR approved navigation source. A second IFR navigator is not required. A very inexpensive, but capable second COM + IFR navigator might be a used VHF NAV/COM, like a KX170B or something similar that has a good reliability track record and can be found cheaply. You probably won?t ever need it, but gives you the opportunity to use your internal G3X GPS, using raw data from the IFR approved VHF NAV to stay legal - as long as course guidance is being provided/referenced from the approved navigation source (VOR/Localizer) and the GPS is providing SA only (technically speaking).

Otto

So i have to autopilot servos already installed. Can I control them thru the G3x or are they dead weight until I add the autopilot controller?

Decisions

I was going to use the GTN 650 as my nav source so I get VOR capability, but I could also add VOR using a second com/ nav radio. Not sure which way is better.

Also, I think the GTN 650 requires a panel mod because it is so long.

Last edited:
So i have to autopilot servos already installed. Can I control them thru the G3x or are they dead weight until I add the autopilot controller?

If you have the Garmin servos installed you definitely don?t need the autopilot controller to control/interface with them. You can control them directly from the G3x.

I was going to use the GTN 650 as my nav source so I get VOR capability, but I could also add VOR using a second com/ nav radio. Not sure which way is better.

I think this boils down to personal preference but if you also need a transponder and ADS-B in/out, I believe the best way to go would be to go with the 375 navigator which also includes the transponder and then if you decided that you really needed a VOR radio, you could install a stand-alone nav/com. I think that more and more people are realizing that a nav radio is something that?s not as important to have as it once was.

Well, having everything in one well integrated box (650) is probably "better" in terms of ease of use, interfacing, cost. But if that one box happens to go belly up on a dark cloudy night then having a separate box is "better".

Yes, the GTN is long. You'll need to cut and reinforce a hole in the sub-panel. Not a big deal. I don't know if the new 175 series gps is shorter (or short enough to not penetrate the sub panel).

Good point

Good point having the VOR on a separate box. I was really set on a gtn650, but you are right, it would be better to have a second com/nav, and cheaper too. I wish there was a remote version.

Good point having the VOR on a separate box. I was really set on a gtn650, but you are right, it would be better to have a second com/nav, and cheaper too. I wish there was a remote version.

I considered a separate VOR/ILS/Com (GNC255) with a 625 but in the end chose to go with the 650, less panel space and the seamless integration of the 650 with the G3X when transitioning from GPS to ILS is hard to beat.

where this is all leading

So where this is all leading to:
1) Do I put in the nutplates for all these boxes while I build the forward structure? How about Velcro? :)
2) Do I create the harness for all these boxes while I build the forward fuse harness?

I think I will buy the System LRU kit so I can install the engine monitor and have that hooked up while I do the firewall forward, and install the magnetometer in the aft fuselage before the skin goes on.

Thanks for all the words of wisdom. I think I will take Walt's excellent input and expand the sub structure for the GTN650 just in case I decide to put one in.

This thread is worth the price of admission alone.

Last edited:

Will this be enough?

This is essentially what I have but I have a second GDU with a backup GSU25. The 375 has a build-in AHRS so your configuration will get you on the ground in IFR if there's a LRU failure (using Garmin Pilot or ForeFlight), but you may like the seamless failure modes of a redundant the G3X GDU and AHRS.

Last edited:
Is the only way to get the FD function through use of a dedicated controller? I am looking at an install that does NOT include an autopilot but would like to have the FD functions. I use autopilot in my flying job....I like hand flying but guidance would be nice.

Is the only way to get the FD function through use of a dedicated controller? I am looking at an install that does NOT include an autopilot but would like to have the FD functions. I use autopilot in my flying job....I like hand flying but guidance would be nice.
Hello Tim,

A dedicated autopilot control panel like the GMC 507 is not required to use the autopilot or independent flight director since the flight director and autopilot may be controlled via the GDU 4XX touchscreen.

The flight director capability is, however, only available when the autopilot servos are installed and the flight director is properly configured to fly the plane. The flight director provides guidance to to the servos when the autopilot is engaged and to the pilot when the autopilot is not engaged.

Thanks,
Steve

Back