What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap Bracket Question

SmittysRV

Well Known Member
I trying to rivet the top angle piece on to the flap bracket and rib and my offset rivet set and rivet gun won't fit between the ribs for the center flap bracket. What did yous guys do?

flapbracket.jpg

Not there yet, but from the picture it looks like a squeezer with a 4" yoke should do it.

Here's how I did it:

flap_hinge.jpg

I'm not sure if that yoke reached the rivets in the angle; I might have used a 3 inch. I only needed to buck the rivet in the corner. The yoke goes through the hole before attaching the squeezer.

Single offset rivet set

I used the short single offset rivet set like steve mentions. It works great, and I'm glad I got it for other places too. Its easier to control than the big double offset.

I used the shorty offset set with a 4X rivet gun. It was a tight fit between the ribs. Use the heaviest bucking bar you own.

Steve Fabiszak

Steve said:
I used the shorty offset set with a 4X rivet gun. It was a tight fit between the ribs. Use the heaviest bucking bar you own.

Steve Fabiszak

And plenty of air pressure on the rivet gun. I had a lot of trouble with my first wing, but cranked it up (more than my usual for that size rivet) on the second and it went much smoother.

Back