What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

short term storage

Jake14

Well Known Member
I fly several times a week but will have to be away for 6-8 weeks in the spring. Airplane is parked outside. Any suggestions on things to do, if any, to avoid any deterioration in the engine and airframe ?

I fly several times a week but will have to be away for 6-8 weeks in the spring. Airplane is parked outside. Any suggestions on things to do, if any, to avoid any deterioration in the engine and airframe ?

The engine is no worse off outside then in a hanger, unless you have a temp and humidity controlled hanger. You will get many opinions, but there are many that keep RVs on the ramp. IMHO, 8 weeks outside is a non issue if a cover is used. What good is an airplane if you can only take it to places that have a hanger. Just look at the commercial planes at your local Class B airport. the planes spend about 98% of their life out in the elements, either flying or waiting on the ramp.

Larry

Last edited:
It's probably worth trying to keep any moisture and condensation out of the crank case. I'd change the oil if it hasn't been done recently and then ensure the engine has been run (flown) at operating temperature before storing. Also put some temporary covers over the exhaust pipe outlets to keep humidity out of any cylinder that may be open.

Outside in the spring time

Don't forget cowl plugs nesting birds seem to compete with each other to see which one can fill up the cowling first. They'll fill up bottom too through the exit air ramp but most of it will simply blow out.

Runup

Don’t think running without flying is a good idea.
All that does is promote moisture in the oil which leads to corrosion.
If it doesn’t fly, it’s better off not running.

Back