What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Problems with SL40

funflying

Well Known Member
My last two flights my comm radio, Garmin Apollo SL40, started a “feedback” noise when transmitting or a sound like a double transmission. The tower couldn’t hear me well at all but enough to continue. I knew at the first of the year I was going to start annual inspection so I decided to start checking the connections to and from the radio.
Pulled it out of the tray, looked okay, disconnected the coax at the antenna and it looked okay. Didn’t remove the antenna but what I could see looked good.
Talked to support at Garmin and they talked about a SWR test with equipment connected between the coax and the antenna. This would determine it the coax and antenna are good.
I contacted an avionics shop at my home airport and left the radio with them for a bench check. This revealed an “over modulation” condition. The tech said it was putting out 30 watts when it should be only 10 maybe 16 watts. The radio needed to go back to Garmin for service and this will cost $875 and I believe when it is returned it will have a 6 month warranty.
The avionics shop still recommend the SWR check to be sure the antenna is okay as a bad antenna or coax could cause the damage creating the over modulation.

Has this malfunction happened to others?
Hoping this radio is worth fixing. 7 years and 490hrs of operation but a pretty pricey repair cost.
Is there another radio that would use the same tray? Basically a direct swap?
What comm radio option comes with the current RV12s?

I had a problem with my SL40 last spring at 600TT. Turned out to be coax connector on back of tray was loose. Easy fix once problem was identified.

You might check VAF classifieds or eBay. Lots of panel upgrades being done, and every so often, a SL40 comes up for sale. Pretty sure you can do better than Garmin’s $875 plus shipping costs.

My SL-40 might be up for sale if I ever get around to installing the GTR-200 that came with my plane, when I bought it. Previous owner never got around to installing it, either.

Last edited:
If you do replace you SL40 I would be interested. Send me a PM or better yet an email or phone call (303-435-4098) if the swap occurs. Thanks

Last edited:
Garmin

Find a local ham radio operator
He can check your swr and antenna for you
I’m a ham and would be glad to assist a fellow pilot
As far as their claims of the radio putting out 30 wattsI highly doubt it.
Id buy a used radio before spending that much for a repair
It sound like it could be a antenna, or antenna cable problem, or a bad or missing ground.
Dave

I wouldn’t recommend paying Garmin’s ‘one price’ repair option. This is a great radio, but it’s been out of production for some time, and some components are getting hard to find. Get a ham or the shop to check out all the connectors/coax/antenna, and if they’re okay, try to find a used SL-40.

Thanks Bob and Dave!
I do feel a bit stuck with not a lot of options. I did see one used radio that sold for $600, but the couple others were a part of package with other avionics.
Then two avionics shops how had SL40s wanted $1,500+ for them. Might look into a more current radio or since I have a Dynon Skyview might look at their comm radio.

The Trig TY96A is the same rack size as the SL40, you still need to change the rack and rewire though. If I couldn't fit a GTR200 in the stack this would be your next best option I think. At some point repairing old equipment is just not worth it.

Back