What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sticking Control Cables

paddyofly

I'm New Here
Throttle control cable sticking and going to replace, maybe do all three for my RV-8 with YIO-360-M1B. CT Q-60 (throttle), CT Q-55 (mixture) & CT Q-67 (gov) are correct cables to order? Tks.

Throttle control cable sticking and going to replace, maybe do all three for my RV-8 with YIO-360-M1B. CT Q-60 (throttle), CT Q-55 (mixture) & CT Q-67 (gov) are correct cables to order? Tks.

There is an aftermarket cable that's supposedly better than what Vans gives you. I don't know what it is off the top of my head, but might be worth doing a little research before you order.

This has been a problem for many of us for as long as I have been involved with RV’s. Distilling all of the threads I have read on binding control cables (from memory), the greatest enemy of these things is heat, and the RV-8 tends towards sticky mixture and throttle cables because they are easily (and naturally) routed too close to the exhaust. At least that seems to be the most likely cause since when folks replace their cables and take care to route them farther away from the exhaust (a small increase in distance works wonders), or shield them from the heat, cables go from lasting a couple hundred hours to a couple thousand.

If your cables are starting to bind, then yeah - I’d probably replace both throttle and mixture, since taking the quadrant apart is a real torture, and doing it once is better than doing it twice. Take care about your where the nw cables are relative to the exhaust pipes, and they should last much, much longer….

Paul

as suggested by Paul, heat protect FWF... I installed firesleeve on mine and all's good on a 15+ airplane :)

Back