What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Starter life?

alcladrv

Well Known Member
I just replaced my Skytech 149-12SLX starter while trying to return from a trip. It failed by simply spinning and not engaging the prop ring. I summoned a mechanic who said a pin was likely sheared and the solenoid was a little loose, so it should be replaced. After assessing the situation and calling Skytech, I learned that the new Skytech 149NL unit the shop had in stock would fit and their price was nearly the same as ACS, but without the likely overnight shipping charges.

So, I changed it out on the ramp using the minimal tools I had in my traveling tool kit. Three hours after my original proposed departure time and after reinstalling the engine cowl, I engaged the starter switch. The engine started right up so I just kept it running and flew the 3 hrs. to get back home. If the starter had to fail, I guess I lucked out because it was a relatively nice day and the on field maintenance shop had a unit in stock. I don't know if the old unit was repairable or not, but the only other solution was to hand-prop the O-360 on my -7A, which the mechanic declined to do.

Some things I learned, 1) 149-12SLX is no longer available, 2) all of the Skytech starters with the "Lycoming" plate will work, 3) the 149NL unit was 50% longer and weighed a couple of pounds more than the old unit, but easily fit, 4) the 149NL was listed on the application list as the specified for the O-360-A1A, which I have, as used on some Mooneys, 5) the 149NL unit only had provision to attach the large cable from the starter contactor. The smaller wire attached to the front of the contactor was not required and Skytech support didn't even know why it was specified by Vans. He muttered something about "voodoo electrics." Anyway, my new 149NL works fine without the smaller wire.

I figured that I got a confirmed 1120 starts on the failed unit for taking flights. With various other starts for ground runs and taxiing, I guesstimated the life of the starter was between 1200 and 1300 starts. What starter life experience have others had?

Back