What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Disappearing landing gear?

N729LS

Well Known Member
Patron
Here's an off-the-wall question :rolleyes: for someone with human perception experience: Is it possible to paint a tailwheel RV's main gear so that it is less visible in flight, making the plane look more like a retractable from the ground? Would any of the "air superiority colors perhaps work? Is there a different answer if the goal is to make them less visible air-to-air?
Thanks,
Andy Elliott

Would painting the struts sky blue work? Not sure what you would do about the wheels. Seems like those are a far bigger part of the visual impact than the struts.

Try crome thy would then blend in to whatever was the predominant color of the available spectrum. Thereby being preceded as invisible. I got that from military camouflage training. The Other option would be to place a bunch bright lights at strategic locations on the gear. This would take trial and error.
Reminded me of following an rand vary ez. All that was visible from behind was the protruding tires and the exhaust opinings.

RD

These guys intend to release a kit for it at Oshkosh, assuming we have one this year. According to the press release, you'll be able to hide the landing gear, or even the whole airplane.

More at www.klingoncloaking.com
-

Attachments

• klingon-bird-of-prey-900x506.jpg
    klingon-bird-of-prey-900x506.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 242
Black

For what its worth, I Painted mine black and a couple times when I am coming in to land people have mentioned they didn't see the gear

AF1QipMTSlqSbYt46XP3icW4AK97D7Zm5kzkDkZr33Z4

Maybe it is time for one of the "mod" suppliers, like Aerosport Products, to offer a retractable gear modification kit.

Here's an off-the-wall question :rolleyes: for someone with human perception experience: Is it possible to paint a tailwheel RV's main gear so that it is less visible in flight, making the plane look more like a retractable from the ground? Would any of the "air superiority colors perhaps work? Is there a different answer if the goal is to make them less visible air-to-air?
Thanks,
Andy Elliott

Hey Andy,

Off the wall is my favourite kind of question!

A dark colour such as black may be the way to go, unless you could do a mirror finish with a wrap somehow. Try googling "mirror tree house". The camouflage effect is quite extraordinary.

Hey Vans Aircraft, not just a bush plane is required, we need a stealth plane design!

Steve W.

Maybe it is time for one of the "mod" suppliers, like Aerosport Products, to offer a retractable gear modification kit.

To what end? The only benefit would be looks. The RV is already such an efficient airframe that the performance benefit of retracting the gear is offset by the increased weight of the retract system. Not to mention the increase in maintenance complexity and insurance costs year-over-year.

I'm thinking maybe a disposable gear mod, where you take off and then jettison the gear with frangible pyrotechnic bolts, and then land on an inflatable cushion that sprays fire foam ahead of the airplane on landing.

Then you rent a new set of takeoff gear at the destination airport. This has the benefit of allowing a business model similar to changeable battery packs for electric aircraft/cars.

I'm thinking maybe a disposable gear mod, where you take off and then jettison the gear with frangible pyrotechnic bolts, and then land on an inflatable cushion that sprays fire foam ahead of the airplane on landing.

Then you rent a new set of takeoff gear at the destination airport. This has the benefit of allowing a business model similar to changeable battery packs for electric aircraft/cars.

But how would you taxi to the ramp? :rolleyes:

Thanks,
Andy Elliott

Paint the gear and wheel pants a solid light single color the same color as the bottom of the fuselage, also a single color. Paint the lower surface of the wings and tails a darker color so they stand out to the eye of the observer and trick the mind to not see the gear.

So easy to do.

Easy to make the gear disappear. Just cover it in camouflage paint. Duh. :rolleyes:

You could make the whole plane disappear by painting it with one of the "ultrablack" paints available on the market now. It won't be cheap...

Back