What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Curiosity about FWF kits

Bcone1381

Well Known Member
Greetings;

I am building an experimental non-RV (Bearhawk Patrol) with a Lycoming IO-360 (Parallel valve, narrow deck, O-360 with Bendix FI, planning for dual Surelfy Ignition).

In the near future I will start on the firewall forward work. I have no experience with this part of the build, am not an A&P, and find I like published authoritative data as opposed to opinions that I read on forums. But I'm building at my home in my workshop, am disconnected with General Aviation, doing all the work by myself.

This is not a thread about all the red flags around me. Attempt to get an EAA tech counselor involved resulted in all those listed have serious or fatal age related health issues. (I'm open to offers.)

Back to my question. I'm not trying to do anything others have not yet done who have built a RV.

My questions are....

Will Vans Aircraft sell information in addition to the products that they offer in their Firewall Forward Installation Kits to Non-RV guys? Are these kits just parts, or do they include plans, procedures, and instruction for installation?

Here's a possible resource. https://www.caro-engineering.com/

Look at her book called "Efficient Power Plant Installation". It has a chapter on the firewall itself, passthroughs, layout, etc... Plus lots of other basics on FWF information (cooling, mounts, etc...)

It's not a step by step "how to" book, but good general info that you might find useful.

Yes. Vans will sell parts to you. The FWF kits do come with drawings that show common install options for the RVs. You can buy the entire FWF kit or pick and choose what you need from them. The complete FWF drawings are $20 by themselves. You can adapt them to meet your needs.

Alternatively, you can buy the $10 flash drive for a side-by-side RV and they'll be on that. But also get the Tony Bingelis books.

Dave

Thank you for helping. I'll call Vans in the morning and plan to buy the drawings or the Flash Drive then come up with a shopping list and a plan with specifics.

I have all of the Bengelis books. Thanks for bringing that up. I'll review then again.

Back