What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I got a "Nose Job: for the New Year.

Larry Brown

Misc016_zpsc62b132b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

As I am coming close to the end of my little project, I decided to purchase and install "The Nose Job" brace for the nose gear of my 7A since I will most likely be flying out of a grass strip that isn?t the smoothest in the world.
Product review: The order was easily placed and arrived in a well packaged box. The brace is well made and I had no issues installing it. I hesitated about adding the extra weight and spending more money on my plane, but I believe this will be like an airbag in your car. Your glad its there, but you hope that you will never have to use it. Anyway, take a look at the website and you see this product and some other interesting products for our planes.
www.Antisplataero.com

Nose Job

Larry,
I installed the same brace on our 7a and have been very pleased with its performance. We frequent many grass strips that without this brace, we may never use. The nose brace is a great insurance policy.
Don

Hey Bret

No not yet. I'm going to wait and do some taxi testing and see if I experience the nose gear bucking as described by some of the builders.
Did You?
I do like the idea of the sealed bearings and no break out force of the nose wheel.

Last edited:
brg. mod

Larry, Just my opinion, but at least put a spacer between the bearings. I think it is as important as the brace. Ron

Hey Ron,

Do you have any information on the spacer?
Measurements etc..

As an alternative, I have used this axle from Matco for about 4 years now and extremely happy about it. The quality is superb and once is set, you can torque the axle nut to what ever value you want without effecting/putting any force on the bearing.

http://www.matcomfg.com/AXLEASSEMBLYA24125INCH-idv-3657-1.html

I believe it is a much better route to go as it is adjustable and certainly inexpensive

I have the Nose Job, Nose Wheel Bearing, Skid Plate, Air/Oil Separator with the Exhaust Check Valve. All these are very well made products that work as advertised. The only problem now is with the Nose Wheel Bearing change. My 7A just keeps rolling when I land. It used to stop much quicker with very little use of the brakes! Maybe Alan will get me some new brake pads!:)
Danny

spacer

Larry, We put a Grove wheel on that was modified for ball bearings like Allen's nose wheel mod, so my spacer is different. The brg. mod is a very good mod as it has a spacer so there is solid stack between the fork legs that adds a lot of stiffness and bearings that are less likely to "drag" when miss aligned. The ball bearing mod is a lot easier to make a spacer for than a Timken bearing spacer as the length is very critical with Timkens. If you don't have access to a lathe send it off to Allen. Thanks Ron

second that

I would advise you to do the nose wheel bearing change from Antisplat. It was the best mod I've done to mine and ground handling/landing behavior of the nose gear strut is a dramatic improvement.

Watch this video that I did to see the difference: http://youtube.com/watch?v=W0kHXOIop5Y

I have to ball bearing mod in my 8A. Tremendous difference. I would recommend this to anybody with a nosewheel RV.

Randy
8A

Back