What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hartzell Prop Seal Question

Geico266

Well Known Member
I pulled the constant speed prop on my IO-540 to change the V-belt for my new Plane Power alternator. What is the service life of the o-ring that seals the end of the crank shaft? I would like to replace it. Can I just use a regular o-ring? Thoughts?

Thank you in advance for any help or comments. :D

Last edited:
The o-ring should be replaced when the prop is installed, or re-installed. They are inexpensive. You should use the manufactures recommendation on the o-ring.
However comma, o-rings have been known to last through many installs, and for decades, when one was not available. Surface prep and gunk cleaning out before install is the key to success.

Call Scott Lau at Duncan Aviation in Lincoln. His number is 402-475-2611. They have a prop shop there, and will have the correct seal. Hartzell P/N is C-3317-228.

Walt, how often do you change alternator belts?

Every time I have the prop off or about 3 years (for my own plane) whichever comes first. I like to pull mine every so often to inspect the LSI board (which I will probably remove very soon in favor of the Electroair), clean the sludge out of the crank and just generally have good look around.

Back