What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sound and Noise Insulation

koupster

Well Known Member
What sort of sound and noise insulation seems to work best for the firewall and side panels in the cockpit?
Thanks from a new VAF member.

Last edited:
What sort of sound and noise seems to work best for the firewall and side panels in the cockpit?

A good ANR headset is the easiest and lightest way to reduce cockpit noise. I had sound insulation on my firewall, but it eventually became unstuck and it made inspections difficult.

second this

A good ANR headset is the easiest and lightest way to reduce cockpit noise. I had sound insulation on my firewall, but it eventually became unstuck and it made inspections difficult.

Agree 100%, definitely the lightest way to quite things down.

Randy

8A

None

So far I have done no insulation and with my Halo headset I dint find noise a factor. I my put something on the side walls to mitigate cold migration. My heat muff puts out meager heat.

What sort of sound and noise insulation seems to work best for the firewall and side panels in the cockpit?

The sort that doesn't burst into flames or fill the cabin with choking smoke when you have a FWF fire. ;)

There are plenty of VansAirforce threads on this topic. I suggest you do a search. However the following thread is probably the most definitive thread and will answer all of your questions and more.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=47587&highlight=firewall+insulation

There is ceramic cloth. Not particularly light or inexpensive, but is fine for the firewall, which is only a few square feet. I overlaid .003 or .004 stainless on the passenger side. The sheeting looks good, functions another barrier from the firewall to the passengers. The only down side is that I did it after all the avionics were in and crawling underneath was a pain (quite literally).
The supplier is fibrefrax

Back