What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap rivets missing

sharp308

Hello there, I have a new to me RV6 and recently noticed there are two holes with no rivets, on both flaps. It’s on the outboard edge, on the underside where the flap attach bracket is. I’m assuming that is not correct, but hoping someone can let me know. Thanks.

Attachments

• 9D7FEBDD-E207-4078-9487-86D57FAB0388.jpg
    9D7FEBDD-E207-4078-9487-86D57FAB0388.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 324
It is normal

Are you referring to the hole in the corner? (I can't make out any other holes in the photo). If it is that hole then it is OK like that because it functions as a stress relief hole only and there is not supposed to be a rivet there.

Ok thanks very much, that is good to know. With the quality of the build, I found it odd something like that would be missed.

Are you referring to the hole in the corner? (I can't make out any other holes in the photo). If it is that hole then it is OK like that because it functions as a stress relief hole only and there is not supposed to be a rivet there.

Is this one on the left also a hole?

Attachments

• Pic.PNG
    Pic.PNG
    360.9 KB · Views: 143
Check the push rod spacers

Brandon

Just looking at the photo it looks like the aileron push rod might be binding against the bracket. It should have a spacer (small washer) between the bracket and the bearing to allow for movement. Just from the photo (which might be just the way it’s taken, but there’s also a clue in the missing paint) the bearing appears to touch the bracket which it shouldn’t be able to do.
You should be able to rock the bearing a little at all points in its travel.

Regards

Peter

Last edited:
Yes the one on the left is what I’m referring too, that’s on the inside of the flap, flaps are in lowered position. There is a second hole (not showed in pic) closer to the attach point along the same piece. That other spot circled to the right is on the aileron, was not worried about that one. Sorry for the bad pic.

Brandon

Looking at my -7 flap plans and guessing the -6 should be similar the end rib has. 3 rivets. According to my plans a LP4-3 is acceptable

Regards

Peter

Went back to hanger and got a better pic from underneath. You can see the two rivet holes at the front of the flap on the outside rib. Any reason these shouldn’t have rivets in them?

Attachments

• 81299D98-7284-4EAF-9ABF-F2A8C3C1191F.jpg
    81299D98-7284-4EAF-9ABF-F2A8C3C1191F.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 171
Rivets

The better pic helps and it looks like there are rivets missing in the flange of rib F604 where it connects to the spar F603. Mine has three solid rivets on the end rib and the plans show LP4-3 pulled rivets on the internal ribs. Should be easy for you to install some LP4-3 rivets on each end rib. Strange that they weren't done during construction.
See attached pics; my flap is not yet installed hence the wrapping.

Attachments

• 20211120_102255.jpg
    20211120_102255.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 131
  • 16373758372986366839769936915748.jpg
    16373758372986366839769936915748.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
The two holes in the flange/spar should have LP4-3 pulled rivets - very easy to put in with a hand rivet puller.
The hole in the rib itself is a tooling hole and left open.
I would disconnect the flap rod and drop the flap down to check the rest of the rib to spar holes don’t have any missing.
Hope this makes sense.

Peter

If you are going to disconnect the flap control rod and let the flap drop down, it would be pretty easy to just squeeze in a couple solid rivets. It’s was a good suggestion to check the other rib flange connections to forward flap spar to make sure they have been riveted. If not, it’s still easy to ad the necessary LP4 pulled rivets.

Scott

I agree solid. Rivets would be best, however as the new owner wasn’t the builder they might not have the equipment for solid rivets and the quick and easy solution would be to pull a couple of LP4-3 pop type rivets.

Regards

Peter

Back