What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Firewall Forward Kit

dweyant

Well Known Member
With the (really) long lead times, etc. I'm trying to make some decisions on my RV-14A project.

I just started on the fuselage, a bit out of order, but that is the first kit I received so why not!

I should get the Empennage in the next month.

Finish Kit and Wings have been ordered, should receive them in April - May time frame.

Engine/Prop ordered before price increase (yeah!). Scheduled for delivery around next July.

My 9A took me about 2.5 years to build (slow build), so I'm expecting about the same for the 14A plus or minus.

My question, is there anything else that has an unusually long lead time that I should consider getting on order soon, mainly the Firewall Forward, and do I even want to buy the Van's Firewall Forward kit, or should I piece it together myself? I did that on the 9A, but I understand that the FWF kit is much better/complete for the 14A.

Thoughts?

-Dan

I received my FWF kit for my -10 in 2 months, after being quoted a 3-4 month lead time.

I did however delete the prop governor and starter/alternator components. I have a narrow deck engine (requiring a different prop gov) and will be upgrading to B&C Alt/Start. That could have contributed to me receiving the kit earlier than expected.

Classic aero seats also has a long lead time if this is what you are planning on going with.
It terms of the build, it depends on how much time you are going to put in it daily. It is going to be faster than your 9, since you already have experience building and the 14 goes faster since it is punched to the final size so no match drilling to the size process.
Good luck and enjoy

Back