What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Whay can?t I see uAvionix aircraft

RV8iator

Well Known Member
Benefactor
I’m stumped. I have a friend with an Echo uAvionix ADS B out. He never shows up on Flight radar. I have a gold subscription with tracking and all the bells and whistles turned on. I see my 1090 out signal 100% of the time. I can very rarely see any 978 aircraft and when I do see them there is no track recorded, just current position.
I know about the anonymous mode and it’s turned off in his unit.
What do I need to do to see 978 transmissions?
PS. He gets a 100% passing report from the FAA website test page consistently.

Last edited:
Check flightaware.com. The last from flight radar was that they dont track 978 ie dont have the equipment or coverage. I will usually see my uAvionics echo on flightaware only but then only a partial track. Guess its got something to do with the radar coverage even from flightaware. ??

Last edited:
Tail Beacon

Jerry. Funny you mention this. I just installed a Tail Beacon on the F1 Rocket. got it programed to broadcast all... passed the test perfectly. no issues. have had the same complaint from both friend flying w me. Also called SAV approach and asked if they saw me. They did under my Mode S squawk but not transmiting N# at all.

I see him on Flight Aware, but to see him there he has to have be on flight following and I had to go into options on turn on ?aircraft not on flight plan?.
It?s Flight Radar 24 that just doesn?t seem to show anybody with the Echo UAT.
I used to at least see his return on the map when he was flyimg. No track or replay, but his number showed on the map. Now, nothing from the UAT crowd. I have 5 or 6 friends with this setup and they all get passing reports but none show in real time or with replays.
My 1090ES from my Trig TT31 shows 100% of the time.
Inquiring minds.

Flight aware.

Turn on "show position only flights" item 6 in my account settings in the online browser.

He does not have to be on a flight plan or flight following, but he does have to get picked up by a UAT sniffer feeding Flight Aware.

Last edited:
I?m stumped. I have a friend with an Echo uAvionix ADS B out. He never shows up on Flight radar. I have a gold subscription with tracking and all the bells and whistles turned on. I see my 1090 out signal 100% of the time. I can very rarely see any 978 aircraft and when I do see them there is no track recorded, just current position.
I know about the anonymous mode and it?s turned off in his unit.
What do I need to do to see 978 transmissions?
PS. He gets a 100% passing report from the FAA website test page consistently.

I believe the issue is Flight aware is just starting to increase the voluntary reporting stations to receive and report back 978 UAT data.

There could be a couple possibilities.

You mention the other aircraft is 978 out and you?re 1090 out. Is your receiver 1090, 978, or both?

I have a Dynon 472 and see both frequencies in a peer to peer mode if I have line of sight between the two aircraft.

If you only have 1090 in, then the 978 will come from the FAA Adsb tis feed. Then you need to have line of sight with the FAA adsb ground tower. In my part of the country, I have to be about 3000 feet to receive that feed.

Also, on you 1090es configuration you typically have to define what frequencies that your adsb receiver can except. If that isn?t configured properly it may cause the FAA not to transmit traffic if there isn?t other adsb enabled aircraft nearby.

Here?s a good description of some of the parameters in a variety of in and out situations.

https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipadsb/capabilities/ins_outs/

Not what I?m saying at all, or asking about.

I?m not talking about airborne reception.

On the Flightradar24 ADS B app on ipad or phone i just don?t see any 978 traffic.
Just trying to figure out why.

Last edited:
I believe the issue is Flight aware is just starting to increase the voluntary reporting stations to receive and report back 978 UAT data.

Once again.

I'm NOT asking about Flight Aware. I understand it..

FLIGHTRADAR24 is an app specifically for ADSB, pretty much real time world wide.
I used to at least show the 978 traffic when they were actually airborne. Not ant more. Just wondering why.

I use both FlightRadar24 globally and Flightaware as I am UAT out.

I assume this is not a uAavionix question but a UAT integration at Flightradar24 question.

The FR24 receiver box they provide has only GPS input and a single other SMA jack- that tells me it is 1090-centric. Flightaware is playing with 978 as best I can tell considering it takes a second SDR and feed to gather UAT data as we see online.

I see nothing on UAT/978 on FR24 except folks playing on their own with Dump978 data. Does not seem to feed 978.

Since 1090 is more global in use, 978 is an FAA option, it simply may not be supported at FR24.

Last edited:
I use both FlightRadar24 globally and Flightaware as I am UAT out.

I assume this is not a uAavionix question but a UAT integration at Flightradar24 question.

The FR24 receiver box they provide has only GPS input and a single other SMA jack- that tells me it is 1090-centric. Flightaware is playing with 978 as best I can tell considering it takes a second SDR and feed to gather UAT data as we see online.

I see nothing on UAT/978 on FR24 except folks playing on their own with Dump978 data. Does not seem to feed 978.

Since 1090 is more global in use, 978 is an FAA option, it simply may not be supported at FR24.

Thanks. That?s what I was thinking, but don?t understand the nuances of the app.
My family and I use FR24 to track my movements now. I used to use APRS but now just use adsb as for my 1090 setup it displays my every movement.

Back