camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2023, 09:19 AM

Default Flaperon Counterweight Drilling Technique

Hi guys, Iíve been working through the fluting of the ribs and drilling of the counterweight for the flaperons. A military sheet metal guy gave me this technique that I want to share with everyone (Iíve seen many different techniques to include marking the holes and drilling on a drill press). This works well and makes clean holes without elongating the skin holes. Use a drill bushing #30, a drill bushing housing, 2.75 inch number 30 drill bit and two layers of painters tape to protect the skin. I used oil on the drill bit and also a slow speed to drill the holes. Have a few drill bits at the ready, the stainless dulls the bits fairly quickly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C76C2D2F-FBCF-4DB8-9B43-ACDBFE542482.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	222.8 KB
ID:	36349  
Old 01-07-2023, 10:00 AM

I also found that starting with a smaller drill bit, say #40, and then finishing with the #30 produced much cleaner holes in the skin. Starting with a small spotting drill might help as well as those shouldn't wander. I seem to remember I also used a spring-loaded center punch to help the bit stay in one place.
RV-12iS #121228
Old 01-07-2023, 10:28 AM

The drill bushing and housing allowed me to start with the 30 bit, the stainless eats bits quicklyÖthe technique made very clean holes.
Old 01-07-2023, 09:00 PM

Hereís another tip. Start drilling with cheap Harbor Freight drill bits until you work your way up to the final size which is drilled by the expensive aircraft bit. No sense burning up expensive drill bits.
Old 01-08-2023, 01:47 AM

Default Housing source?

Iíll be doing my counterweights shortly, so this tipís timely - thanks!

Iíve found a few sources for #30 slip-fit drill bushings (Yard Store, Aircraft Tool Supply), but I havenít been able to find a housing that looks like yours ó all Iíve found are the plastic egg-cup style, which looks like it has three ďlegsĒ around its round base that might not sit squarely on the curved skin. Any suggestions?
Old 01-08-2023, 03:12 AM

For the less experienced, compared to drilling steel, the drilling stainless approach is slower drill speed with more pressure.

Stainless work hardens fast and the idea is to increase the pressure to keep cutting "under" the last pass - hopefully encountering fresh, "un-hardened" material each rotation.

My good reference, a Boeing guide, is at the office but, as always, practice on some scrap.

The drill bit you "extend" may be your own!
Old 01-09-2023, 05:24 AM

I used my drill press with drill blocks.
Worked just fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D326FC44-6485-432E-BE9C-6D9558E8A248.png
Views:	36
Size:	492.4 KB
ID:	36477  
Got a hangar, and moved some large pieces in!
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blproject&proj=7buPHH99v

Last edited by thiggins : 01-09-2023 at 05:26 AM.
Old 01-09-2023, 04:35 PM

This is most timely as I just started drilling these today, thanks! I'm finding that drilling leaves a significant burr on the inside of the tube, unfortunately. I can file this down on the holes near the ends, but does anyone have advice for deburring the other 11 holes in the tube? I found a thread from 18 years ago (!) suggesting just shoving another tube through the pipe. Is that still the best advice?
Old 01-09-2023, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenstar View Post
This is most timely as I just started drilling these today, thanks! I'm finding that drilling leaves a significant burr on the inside of the tube, unfortunately. I can file this down on the holes near the ends, but does anyone have advice for deburring the other 11 holes in the tube? I found a thread from 18 years ago (!) suggesting just shoving another tube through the pipe. Is that still the best advice?
I just went through this. I attached a file (taped) to the end of a broom handle and ran it up and down the inside of the tube. No visible burrs after.
YMMV
Skydiver/Videographer
Retired Navy Av/Maint LDO
Old 01-09-2023, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS1198 View Post
Hi guys, Iíve been working through the fluting of the ribs and drilling of the counterweight for the flaperons. A military sheet metal guy gave me this technique that I want to share with everyone (Iíve seen many different techniques to include marking the holes and drilling on a drill press). This works well and makes clean holes without elongating the skin holes. Use a drill bushing #30, a drill bushing housing, 2.75 inch number 30 drill bit and two layers of painters tape to protect the skin. I used oil on the drill bit and also a slow speed to drill the holes. Have a few drill bits at the ready, the stainless dulls the bits fairly quickly.
Joe, thanks for the tip, but on a sidebar - can you say what the brand/part number of that clever drill guide in the photo?

Thanks!!