Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Old 12-24-2022, 04:11 PM

Default Winterization Kit

I live in Alabama so we don't have really cold temps a lot. But last summer I bought the Van's winterization kit and put it together recently. Today it is really cold so I installed the part to block off part of the radiator. I went flying expecting to feet some real heat was didn't get it. It was 28 degrees on the ground, 16 degrees at 3,000 msl. All I got was cool air. Here is a picture of the Dynon showing the temps at 3,000 ft. I am wondering if it was just too cold to get real heat from this mod. What have others experienced with the Van's Winderization Kit?

I didn't use the plate to block the oil cooler since my engine has the oil thermostat on it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0988 (2).jpeg
Views:	84
Size:	313.7 KB
ID:	35676
Just passed 300 hours flight time in RV-12, and 10,000 hours mostly in corporate jets. I am a CFI; CFII; MEI; and a Advanced Ground Instructor, CFIG; and hoping to be able to help new RV-12 owners by doing some transition training for new builders and owners in RV-12's.
Old 12-24-2022, 06:35 PM

Smile Winter Flying

I had the same issue with winter flying, no heat. Unless you slow down the velocity of the air through the water cooler the heater is ineffective.
I fabricated the “Bender Baffle” in the air tunnel and can now regulate CHTs
to 200F in the northern winter climates and enjoy shirt sleeve cabin heat all winter long. John Bender’s invention is on this site, run the search.

"I have enough money to last me for the rest of my life.
As long as I don't buy anything"
Old 12-24-2022, 11:12 PM

Thanks for the reply. I have looked at the Bender Baffle and thought about building it. But when I saw the winterization kit it look a lot quicker and it was not expensive so I bought it. But I was really disappointed today when I flew with it for the first time. I will now give some serious thought to the Bender Baffle.
Just passed 300 hours flight time in RV-12, and 10,000 hours mostly in corporate jets. I am a CFI; CFII; MEI; and a Advanced Ground Instructor, CFIG; and hoping to be able to help new RV-12 owners by doing some transition training for new builders and owners in RV-12's.
Old 12-24-2022, 11:31 PM

A couple of factors that can have a major influence on the heat output ( even with the kit installed.).

Cold air entry into the cabin from air leaks. It doesn’t take a lot to over power the heat system. About the same as trying to heat you house with all of the windows open.

Cruising around at low power. There is a big difference in the amount of heat that gets transferred via the radiator when cruising at 5000 rpm vs 5500.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
Formerly of Van's Aircraft Engineering Prototype Shop
FAA/DAR, EAA Technical Councelor
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 12-25-2022, 10:53 AM

As I finish my build here in single-digit Michigan weather, this post caught my attention and had me a little worried. I wasn't sure if the iS struggles with cabin heat too or just the ULS. After a quick search, I happily found a post from Scott back in 2017 saying the iS "provides great cabin heat performance." Just wanted to mention it here for anyone else that comes along with the same question. (Especially those with cr*p circulation and permanently frozen toes, like myself)
RV-12iS #121228
Old 12-25-2022, 11:37 AM

For the iS, the winterization kit is to help keep your oil temperature high enough in colder weather. The oil cooling on the iS is super efficient and may be tough to get hot enough in cold weather to drive off moisture from the oil.
Old 12-25-2022, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Y View Post
For the iS, the winterization kit is to help keep your oil temperature high enough in colder weather. The oil cooling on the iS is super efficient and may be tough to get hot enough in cold weather to drive off moisture from the oil.
Ah, thanks for the info!
RV-12iS #121228
Old 12-25-2022, 02:38 PM

The iS version switched to the old heat muff around the exhaust, instead of the coolant radiator used on the legacy 12, so that air should be much hotter coming in. There’s also separate foot controls for both the left and right foot wells. Downside is the Co risk.
Got a hangar, and moved some large pieces in!
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blproject&proj=7buPHH99v
Old 12-25-2022, 02:47 PM

Thanks for all the answers. Let me ask a more specific question. What are the CHT's and the oil temps you guys are getting with the Winterization Kit in place?
Old 12-27-2022, 12:23 PM

Default Thanks for the mentions - -

Wife's health is keeping me on the ground mostly now, but that mod is likely my best for comfort for sure.
Flying RV-12 - Serial #120036
Paid in May ( 5-2021 )