Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Old 12-30-2022, 07:53 AM

Is anyone else using a fuel preservative? I have been using one oz. of Seafoam per gallon for over 4 years / 300 hours and have never had a fuel related issue. I use 93 octane with 10% alcohol with the occasional refueling of 100LL on cross country. Seafoam states that it preservers fuel for up to 2 years, of course I'd never consider letting treated fuel sit that long but there are times such as now when I've been waiting nearly 2 months for my D-180 to get back from Dynon.
Old 12-30-2022, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobg56 View Post
Is anyone else using a fuel preservative? I have been using one oz. of Seafoam per gallon for over 4 years / 300 hours and have never had a fuel related issue. I use 93 octane with 10% alcohol with the occasional refueling of 100LL on cross country. Seafoam states that it preservers fuel for up to 2 years, of course I'd never consider letting treated fuel sit that long but there are times such as now when I've been waiting nearly 2 months for my D-180 to get back from Dynon.
I fly regularly enough and rarely leave fuel unused for more than a couple/three weeks so have never used preservatives in the -12. I've heard talks from Phil Lockwood who encouraged the use of fuel stabilizers when the fuel will not be burned for several weeks or so. If I recall correctly he had done so with Stabil in Rotax engines and didn't have any concerns.
RV-12, N913BC - EAA Light Plane Silver Lindy (2016)
***2022 Annual VAF Donation***
Check out & subscribe to my Youtube channel for latest RV-12 flying videos...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxQ...Px2I7jmazGdLqg
Old 12-30-2022, 08:37 AM

I replaced those pesky carbs 1,500 hours ago. Had waited over a year for warranty replacement floats. Edge Performance fuel injection conversion was plug and play. Benefits: 10% increase in HP, perfect fuel/air mixture at all times/altitudes, easy starting direct injection, much lower idle allows shorter landing distance, no more carb balancing or float issues, more efficient equals better gas mileage, super reliable automotive parts (less expensive and readily available) however Iíve not replaced a single part since I converted.
Disadvantages: NONE (besides the initial cost which I believe has more than paid for itself.) The conversion comes with a 2-electric fuel pump manifold. The system is lighter weight overall than the carbs on the 912ULS.
Old 12-30-2022, 08:48 AM

Default Kitplanes

Nice article in this month's Kitplanes Magazine about this EP-conversion. I am still very happy with my two carberettors, but after reading the article I understand your enthusiasm.
Project bought & flying RV12 #120742
Old 01-04-2023, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floog View Post
I replaced those pesky carbs 1,500 hours ago. Had waited over a year for warranty replacement floats. Edge Performance fuel injection conversion was plug and play. Benefits: 10% increase in HP, perfect fuel/air mixture at all times/altitudes, easy starting direct injection, much lower idle allows shorter landing distance, no more carb balancing or float issues, more efficient equals better gas mileage, super reliable automotive parts (less expensive and readily available) however Iíve not replaced a single part since I converted.
Disadvantages: NONE (besides the initial cost which I believe has more than paid for itself.) The conversion comes with a 2-electric fuel pump manifold. The system is lighter weight overall than the carbs on the 912ULS.
Interesting. I have been wondering if anyone did this on a stock RV12?

Any more info you would care to share? Did you do the conversion yourself?

Cost for the conversion kit?

ELSA? did it create any regulatory issues? (yes the old major versus minor modification debate...)
Old 01-04-2023, 02:05 PM

Default Stabil 360

I add 1 oz. Of Stabil 360 to very 5 gallons of premium fuel I purchase at Costco. No issues so far. I live in Ohio, so occasionally, in the winter I go 4-5 weeks without flying.
I am using the second generation Marvel Schebler floats, after 3 sets of the sinking Bing floats, and 1 set of the original Marvel Schebler floats.
Xenia, OH 45385
Old 01-04-2023, 04:00 PM

Default Carb floatís

I replaced the floats with the new Bing R floats when I rebuilt both carbs. almost a year and half ago and 140hrs. ago. I used them because they came in the Bing level 5 overhaul kit from Edge Performance, which was by far the best price at the time. Just weighed them at annual inspection again and all were 3.2 grams and looked good. Maybe Rotax - Bing finally got it right? Plane has 860 hrs. on it. Had a few heavy floats before.