Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Old 12-20-2021, 03:17 PM

Default Carb floats

Are you guy's still having issues with the carb floats? Doesn't seem to be too much chatter on the subject lately. Is this because everyone is getting use to having to change them you think? Or have the floats improved? My engine ran extremely rough the other day so I placed the MS floats on order.
Like to hear your .02

My youtube channel: Southern Latitudes Sport Aviation
https://youtube.com/@SouthernLatitudesAviation
Old 12-20-2021, 04:54 PM

Nothing is for certain.

Friend has a RV-12 Legacy finished in 2015 with 340 hours on the Hobbs. Past 3 years have been nothing but Costco Premium Unleaded Mogas bought in Southern CA, from 120 hrs to current being Mogas Unleaded, with some (not a lot, mostly winter months) ethanol in the fuel.

Knock on wood, his floats are fine.

"Time to Spare, go by Air."
Old 12-20-2021, 05:04 PM

Default Bing carb presentation

At Oshkosh this year I attended a Bing carb presentation that Brian Carpender, of Rainbow Aviation, who talked about the float issues. He said the reality is the reporting systems now in place made the sinking float issue seem like a big deal all the sudden. When in fact he said sinking floats have been happening for many years and that any ďnewĒ floats become the latest test float out there. Itís the reporting systems in place for all things Rotax and Bing that bring the issues to light sooner today.

I am running my original floats since 2013, knock on wood, and they have weighted out good each annual. I have a spare Marvel set ready just in case and those using these blue floats so far the few reports Iíve seen on VAF have been favorable.
RV12, #401, Flying 2013, N612PC
RV6, 1996-2010 sold
Old 12-20-2021, 05:31 PM

Default Debris at condition inspection

My current plane is a SeaRey LSX with a Rotax 914. I deferred the (third for me) float change until my condition inspection a couple of weeks back as I wasnít having any issues. During the inspection we found float debris in one of the bowls of sufficient size to potentially clog a jet. The floats weighed OK but the debris was troubling. Happy I had already ordered the replacement set. Kept the older pair to keep in the plane in case of AoG emergency, but I think Iíll be a little more diligent in complying quickly in the future. YMMV.
Old 12-20-2021, 07:57 PM

My 2015 -12 has 820 hours on it. I changed to Marvel Schebler MS80-430 floats on 1/9/2021, that was 210 hours ago. Since changing to those floats ALL of my random mixture issues have disappeared and my fuel economy is fantastic.

The type of issues I would experience before were an occasional smell of gas on landing or during a pull up. I had replaced the black floats several times in the year previous including many weight checks.
Old 12-21-2021, 07:17 AM

I switched over to the Marvel Schebler MS80-430 floats over a year ago (160 hrs) and have had no additional issues.

Gary
Old 12-29-2022, 08:36 AM

Default desperately seeking solution

Trying to resolve my rough running* 912 ULS and whether it's ignition or carbs.
As for carbs, what is normally the depth of fuel in the bowls?
Appears mine are about 3/8" below the top of bowl.
Note that floats (Rotax late model R designation) float at pin level and they weigh 3 grams each.
Addnl note, plane & I have been down for a month (condition inspection time of year) so today I'm going to drain fuel and try fresh gas (grasping those straws).

* longer story of symptoms & troubleshooting available upon request, but it aligns with similar stories as told here on VAF
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bowl 1.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	35871  Click image for larger version

Name:	bowl 2.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	35872  
RV12 dream machine #120764
Support VAF - if you read it, buy it!
Old 12-29-2022, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorsR1 View Post
Note that floats (Rotax late model R designation) float at pin level and they weigh 3 grams each.
Addnl note, plane & I have been down for a month (condition inspection time of year) so today I'm going to drain fuel and try fresh gas (grasping those straws).

* longer story of symptoms & troubleshooting available upon request, but it aligns with similar stories as told here on VAF
Have you confirmed that your carbs are synchronized? I did mine step by step per Van's and discovered the idle mixture screw turned out to far on both carbs.

My youtube channel: Southern Latitudes Sport Aviation
https://youtube.com/@SouthernLatitudesAviation

Last edited by Jcurry : 12-29-2022 at 09:15 AM.
Old 12-29-2022, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorsR1 View Post

I almost hate to tell this story, but I struggles for almost 2 years with that same issue. I went through several carb rebuilds. I did it a couple of times, as well as a reliable shop trying it 3 times. It always ran great for a short time after each carb job. After an hour or so, I was back to the rough running, flooded condition.
Long story short, I finally flew my 12 down to Lockwood Aviation in Sebring Florida. The service manager asked the owner, Phil Lockwood to test fly it. He took considerable time in a preflight. The interesting point was that when Phil sumped the gascolator, he took several samples with the standard sump tool and poured them into a clear funnel shaped container to get a better view for particles. He found microscopic particles and asked that the fuel system be cleaned out before he would fly it, The shop also found some of these microscopic particles while disassembling the gascolator. They then test ran it for quite awhile with fresh fuel and a cleaned out fuel system and than made arrangements for Phil to try again to test fly it. Phil went through the same routine only he probably took 4 or five fuel samples this time. He walked back into the shop and told them to pull the tank, which they reluctantly did. While continually flushing the tank into a white bucket, it was obvious that these microscopic particles was actually deteriorated pro seal. I had to order a new tank from Vans, which Lockwood installed and the problem is gone. My only explanation is that when installing the mandatory fuel tank mods, I must have had bad pro seal. It was old, was kept refrigerated, and I tested it before using it. Lesson learned, the hard way. I have no other explanation other that that it runs very nice now. So don't overlook the tank when troubleshooting....Tom
2013- RV12, Kit #119. N123M First flight Nov21. It's a keeper!
1998- RV-9 tail kit, built and sold
1989- RV-6 tail kit, built and sold
Old 12-29-2022, 06:22 PM

Thumbs up

Happy to report the Rotax is back to its smooth self
Evidently the fuel refresh was just what the doctor ordered.
Actually, it's what Scott McDaniels had mentioned in another thread (912uls Spark Plug Diagram) where he said, "I have seen poor fuel cause strange issues, particularly in cold operating conditions."
Emptied the tank & put in a blend of 93 octane MOGAS (3.5 gal) and 100LL (2 gal) for a trial run.
Once the oil warmed up enough to perform "mag checks", all was back to normal and running smooth.
Mr. McDaniels input is so valuable (sure am glad he watches over us!).

Note, I had been troubleshooting under the impression that the gas wasn't bad since it was less than month old 93 octane non ethanol (wallyworld stuff )
RV12 dream machine #120764
Support VAF - if you read it, buy it!