Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Old 06-12-2021, 09:15 AM

Another possibility .... RF interference.

I have personally witnessed a bad portable puck GPS antenna (the inexpensive type) in a friend's airplane completely scramble GPS reception on every GPS device in the vicinity.

Not saying this is your issue, but want folks reading this thread to be cognizant that there is a very real possibility for a bad portable device in the cockpit to hose up the reception of permanently installed GPS antennas. Saw it with my own eyes.

I did lose GPS reception during one flight and if I remember correctly, I lost my flight path (track) and aircraft's position on the SkyView's map. I was about 10 or 15 miles away from my home base flying over a large steel plant at the time. Figured I would fly on for a couple of minutes before turning back towards home. After a few tense minutes all was good again. This only happened just that one time, so have chalked it up to some kind of interference along my flight path.

RV-12 Wings, Empennage, Fuselage, Finishing, Avionics and Powerplant kits all completed
Now Flying!!

Donation paid until September 2023

Last edited by John-G : 06-12-2021 at 10:30 AM.
Old 06-12-2021, 09:43 AM

Default GPS lost

PM Sent
Will try your suggestions.

ALAN
Old 06-24-2021, 08:19 PM

Default Loss of GPS and ADSB

I thought I would have some great information to share on what caused the outage but……..
I sprayed the connections on the back of the Dynon touch screen not an HDX model. Checked for security of the connectors and nothing seemed to correct the issue.

Came out to the plane a day or two later and everything works fine- no outage and it has been working since.????? My ADSB out is functioning!
Old 06-24-2021, 08:56 PM

It's always something Gilda...
Jim Stricker - EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
Bought Flying RV-12 #120058 Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 830

LSRM-A Certificate 2016 for RV-12 N633CM
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - USN Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father - CFI) - USAAF 1st Lt. Captain B-17H
Old 06-24-2021, 10:04 PM

Never mind, Gilda! 😜
Old 08-25-2022, 04:57 PM

Default Just had this happen to me...

Thought at first it might be GPS jamming....today after reseating and rejigging some wires seems to be better.....

Anyone have to replace their Dynon 2020 GPS Puck yet?
Old 08-25-2022, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusman View Post
Thought at first it might be GPS jamming....today after reseating and rejigging some wires seems to be better.....

Anyone have to replace their Dynon 2020 GPS Puck yet?
A friend's RV-12 built by Synergy had Dynon GPS antenna wire cut through. Hole in mounting plate did not align with wires exiting bottom of amplified antenna...
Jim Stricker - EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
Bought Flying RV-12 #120058 Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 830

LSRM-A Certificate 2016 for RV-12 N633CM
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - USN Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father - CFI) - USAAF 1st Lt. Captain B-17H
Old 08-26-2022, 12:26 PM

I have been having the same problem as the OP for the past month. I have jiggled everything while watching the satellite screen, and at first I can create the signal loss but can't exactly locate the source. After fiddling with it at the antenna and in the radio bay for an hour or so it all starts acting normal. It will work in flight for another 10+ hours then act up again. This scenario has repeated 3 times now.

I will consider John-G's suggestion next time since it acts up. I have a Garmin antenna mounted next to the Dynon on the firewall tray. Although these 2 have played well for 1000 hours maybe the Garmin is actually the culprit.
Old 08-27-2022, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagull View Post
I have been having the same problem as the OP for the past month. I have jiggled everything while watching the satellite screen, and at first I can create the signal loss but can't exactly locate the source. After fiddling with it at the antenna and in the radio bay for an hour or so it all starts acting normal. It will work in flight for another 10+ hours then act up again. This scenario has repeated 3 times now.

I will consider John-G's suggestion next time since it acts up. I have a Garmin antenna mounted next to the Dynon on the firewall tray. Although these 2 have played well for 1000 hours maybe the Garmin is actually the culprit.
I don't have any other GPS antenna mounted. Mine started within 7 hrs of updating to the latest Van's approved Dynon update on their downloads page. Dynon support seems to think it's wires. But I don't see any connection, pin or puck wire issues at all. Dynon says there are no slow or fast failure patterns they are seeing with the 2020 GPS puck.

It's definitely an intermittent issue which makes it all the more frustrating. And I'm guessing but I think it's a software problem but it's such an infrequent bug Dynon isn't catching it.

White Sands and military jamming practice doesn't help either. Gets you chasing your tail. Very annoying.
Old 01-13-2023, 05:37 AM

Hi Guys,

I've got this issue on a fresh 2020 install. Wiring is correct and has power/continuity. Setting are correct. This is really bugging me. I just want these issues gone so I can hit first flight.

Do you think the size of the mount hole could be the issue? Wires are in tack but maybe some interference? I'll widen and report back to note any change.

I doubt a brand new puck could be faulty, right....right?

Cheers,

Dan

RV-7A
Built - Final checks before CoA
...surely I'm almost done.
Canberra, ACT
Australia
+61 0404 869 261