Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Old 03-17-2021, 02:20 PM

I was having similar issues with serial #34. Same configuration. I bought the Odyssey brand battery charger made specifically for the model battery we use and left it on for several weeks during winter non use timeframe. That device reconditioned the battery and it is like brand new. Going on my second year now since I thought it to be dead.
RV-12 Flying
Old 01-08-2023, 08:43 PM

Default Low voltage

My voltage has dropped to 11.5. Iím suspect of voltage regulator. Would you have the JD part number?
Old 01-09-2023, 08:23 AM

search eBay for AM101406 or MIA881279
$20
Old 01-10-2023, 06:07 PM

Default Voltage low, battery not charging

New volt regulator will arrive tomorrow. Photo of install shows the builder must have added an extra cooling duct/hose to the VR. I the smaller black hose and the shield over top of VR a normal installation?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4917.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	324.2 KB
ID:	36565  
Old 01-10-2023, 06:19 PM

That was an early iteration, attempting to get more air onto the regulator. Later the regulator was repositioned under the panel. Again trying to get it away from excess heat. The new setup uses a B&C regulator mounted high on the firewall, and has a NACA duct in the top cowl to direct air onto the regulator.
Just a little history.
Cheers DaveH
Old 01-10-2023, 09:04 PM

Be sure to use heat conductive paste between metal parts of the regulator and the mounting surface.
Old 01-10-2023, 09:19 PM

My understanding from talking with the B&C folks is that their VR (which is now Van's standard on new kits) was designed for the PC680/Rotax application i.e. better sensing and charging curves? for the PC680 AGM-type of battery. I don't claim ANY expertise about such things, just relying on my confidence in Vans and B&C (very nice folks). It's a bit more expensive and involved to retrofit, but worth the effort in my view. I do not want a VR failure halfway home again.
2-soon to be 3-cents,
Dave
Old 01-11-2023, 09:30 AM

Default Another solution?

It appears B&C has this regulator that is designed as plug and play to replace the Ducati. Wouldn't require cutting a duct into the cowling. Here is the link

https://bandc.com/product/avc1-advan...stallation-kit
N563ST
Old 01-11-2023, 10:20 AM

Default Another Solution...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumway View Post
It appears B&C has this regulator that is designed as plug and play to replace the Ducati. Wouldn't require cutting a duct into the cowling. Here is the link

Some thoughts FWIW (again I claim NO/not much expertise in things electrical)...
I bought my new VR directly from B&C just before (naturally) Van's came out with their complete retrofit kit. B&C provided documentation for several generic mounting/connecting options, but I bought the remaining items from Vans to accomplish their retrofit including the NACA duct figuring they must have designed it that way for a reason, probably to maximize cooling air for my new $$ VR. And I'm sure Vans is getting weary of hearing about problems with the VRs, plus the original (meaning very first) VR location and cooling design alway struck me as "kludgy".
So anyway...I understand the "plug and play" aspect and was tempted to just swap my B&C into my "under-shelf" location, then decided to go with the new kit because we can never have too much cooling air for hot electrical stuff
3-cents,
Dave
Old 01-11-2023, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumway View Post

Thatís the one Vans are now using. Youíll find it has a different footprint to the Ducati regulator. So an adapter plate or new holes will be needed. Also the Ducati plug wonít fit, so a bit of fiddling is involved.
Cheers DaveH