What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Winterization Kit

pilotyoung

Well Known Member
I live in Alabama so we don't have really cold temps a lot. But last summer I bought the Van's winterization kit and put it together recently. Today it is really cold so I installed the part to block off part of the radiator. I went flying expecting to feet some real heat was didn't get it. It was 28 degrees on the ground, 16 degrees at 3,000 msl. All I got was cool air. Here is a picture of the Dynon showing the temps at 3,000 ft. I am wondering if it was just too cold to get real heat from this mod. What have others experienced with the Van's Winderization Kit?

I didn't use the plate to block the oil cooler since my engine has the oil thermostat on it.

IMG_0988 (2).jpeg

Winter Flying

I had the same issue with winter flying, no heat. Unless you slow down the velocity of the air through the water cooler the heater is ineffective.
I fabricated the “Bender Baffle” in the air tunnel and can now regulate CHTs
to 200F in the northern winter climates and enjoy shirt sleeve cabin heat all winter long. John Bender’s invention is on this site, run the search.

Thanks for the reply. I have looked at the Bender Baffle and thought about building it. But when I saw the winterization kit it look a lot quicker and it was not expensive so I bought it. But I was really disappointed today when I flew with it for the first time. I will now give some serious thought to the Bender Baffle.

A couple of factors that can have a major influence on the heat output ( even with the kit installed.).

Cold air entry into the cabin from air leaks. It doesn’t take a lot to over power the heat system. About the same as trying to heat you house with all of the windows open.

Cruising around at low power. There is a big difference in the amount of heat that gets transferred via the radiator when cruising at 5000 rpm vs 5500.

As I finish my build here in single-digit Michigan weather, this post caught my attention and had me a little worried. I wasn't sure if the iS struggles with cabin heat too or just the ULS. After a quick search, I happily found a post from Scott back in 2017 saying the iS "provides great cabin heat performance." Just wanted to mention it here for anyone else that comes along with the same question. (Especially those with cr*p circulation and permanently frozen toes, like myself)

For the iS, the winterization kit is to help keep your oil temperature high enough in colder weather. The oil cooling on the iS is super efficient and may be tough to get hot enough in cold weather to drive off moisture from the oil.

For the iS, the winterization kit is to help keep your oil temperature high enough in colder weather. The oil cooling on the iS is super efficient and may be tough to get hot enough in cold weather to drive off moisture from the oil.

Ah, thanks for the info!

The iS version switched to the old heat muff around the exhaust, instead of the coolant radiator used on the legacy 12, so that air should be much hotter coming in. There’s also separate foot controls for both the left and right foot wells. Downside is the Co risk.

Thanks for all the answers. Let me ask a more specific question. What are the CHT's and the oil temps you guys are getting with the Winterization Kit in place?

Thanks for the mentions - -

Wife's health is keeping me on the ground mostly now, but that mod is likely my best for comfort for sure.

heat muff

Me Too (want to add the heatmuff-stuff): is there a chance that anyone of the IS-builders get us a part list (and a drawing perhaps?) so that I can order from the Mothership?

Back