What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EAA and AOPA membership worth it?

Which association should I join?

• AOPA ONLY

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • EAA ONLY

Votes: 46 16.9%
  • Both AOPA & EAA

Votes: 213 78.3%
  • NONE

Votes: 9 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LuisR

Well Known Member
Never been a member of EAA and dropped my AOPA membership some 5-10 years ago. Should I reconsider now? Why should I join them now? AOPA back then was more about the pricier planes and felt it wasn't relevent. I can see myself joining EAA now for obvious reasons.

Just looking for the opinions of those in the RV community.

You asked for opinions and you will get varying opinions. Here are my responses to your question(s).
Yes
and
Yes.
Others will no doubt have different opinions, but those are my concise answers.

Just my opinion, but

all of the "membership" organizations have become very focused on "bottom-line". I almost dropped my AOPA membership when they started their "wine of the month" club.

However, with all their faults, EAA and AOPA do have a voice in government circles. I do believe that their efforts have slowed down the erosion of our privilege and right to aviate. I will continue to support them.

Ron

I'm a member of both, so yes. There is some overlap between the two but here's how I look at it: AOPA is my general political advocate as a GA pilot and and aircraft owner. EAA is my advocate for all things E-AB. The bottom line is there is strength in numbers - just ask other organizations like the NRA or AARP.

EAA to play good cop to the AOPA's bad cop, when lobbying for rules/regulations/laws. So I'm a member of both.

In the last decade or so, EAA has been about high-dollar stuff & discouraging actual homebuilding & experimentation. But there has been noticeable improvement lately in actual homebuilding stuff like the how-to videos. Encouraging trend....

Charlie

EAA and AOPA are about the only voices we have in the government and I don't know why all of us aren't members. To me, those of you that are not members are like the people who use this site frequently and don't donate.

Luis,

I have memberships in both AOPA and EAA. Of the two, EAA is more relevant to RV's most of the time.

If I could only afford one membership it would be EAA. The EAA published their budget recently. If you have time, check that out before committing to see if that's where and how you want to see your contributions spent.

As to your question, Why should I join them now? Because the paid staff at EAA/AOPA need to eat and pay their bills. Without our contributions they would have to find work elsewhere. No, seriously, I can't think of a good reason right now.

The publications are pretty informative. There's lots of commercials and advertisements. They advocate for our freedom/privilege to fly.

Last edited:
EAA and AOPA are about the only voices we have in the government and I don't know why all of us aren't members. To me, those of you that are not members are like the people who use this site frequently and don't donate.

Luis,

I have memberships in both AOPA and EAA. Of the two, EAA is more relevant to RV's most of the time.

If I could only afford one membership it would be EAA. The EAA published their budget recently. If you have time, check that out before committing to see if that's where and how you want to see your contributions spent.

As to your question, Why should I join them now? Because the paid staff at EAA/AOPA need to eat and pay their bills. Without our contributions they would have to find work elsewhere. No, seriously, I can't think of a good reason right now.

The publications are pretty informative. There's lots of commercials and advertisements. They advocate for our freedom/privilege to fly.

I belong to both and agree with the above two.

FYI. There are TWO (2) AOPA staff members that I know of that OWN RV's.

My membership to both are more for what they do for the industry than what they do for me in specific. AOPA continues to fight for anything aviation and EAA continues to surprise me with their involvement in keeping aviation a reality for all of us. My membership gets me discounts and lots of help from How to videos on EAA to Safety courses on AOPA. I can't imagine being a pilot and not being a part of these organizations. It's like having an RV and not being a part of this forum and not paying Doug for all that he does for us :mad: just wouldn't make sense.

I agree with Gary. I reactivated my subscriptions 3 years ago because I believe there is much gained behind the scenes by both organizations regarding our freedom of flight and recreational flying. I truly believe without them we would be a lot worse off. Larry

None?

For those of you who voted "none", I urge you to rethink your position. If you can afford to fly, you can afford the few dollars it takes to become a member of these organizations. You may not like everything they do, but they are our voice in the regulatory environment. It's important that we support them both.

My membership to both are more for what they do for the industry than what they do for me in specific.

I am a member of both and feel the same way (in fact I don't have much interest in the articles the generally run in the AOPA magazine so I don't even read it much).

I feel it is very important to support every GA voice we have in Washington.

Who still remembers what happened after 911? If it wasn't for these two organization, this web site might not even exist today.

I am a member of both and feel the same way (in fact I don't have much interest in the articles the generally run in the AOPA magazine so I don't even read it much).

At least AOPA gives you the option of a lower rate without the magazine.
Unfortunately EAA won't offer that option.

In addition to the Legal Services Plan, which I haven't used, I also pay a little extra to the AOPA for their Medical Services Plan. I'm on Special Issuance after a heart valve replacement in 2009, and I couldn't imagine going through the experience of getting my 3rd Class medical reinstated without the help of the Medical folks at AOPA HQ (which I got in 2009-2010). I called them just yesterday because the FAA medical office in OKC recently sent me a letter that I have to answer (they want more info :eek: ).

To me, the expense of EAA and AOPA membership (and services) is just a part of being able to fly.

I dropped my AOPA when Phil Boyer was still there and solidifying his power with his ridiculous "us against them" mentality when it came to handling the media. He made the situation much worse than it needed to be .

I like Mark Baker (AOPA prez) and I think they're pushing all the right buttons and I'm friendly with Dave Hirschman and Paul Harrop. They do great work. So I'm happy to support them.

The ONLY thing that bugs me is AOPA's PAC contributes based only on aviation and I think there's more to a politician than whether he favors aviation or not. Now, whether any of that money comes from dues (which are nothing, really), I don't know.

EAA? Cripes I want my ashes scattered in homebuilt camping. That's what EAA means to me.

Jack Pelton has been phenomenal and has almost -- almost -- washed the stain and stench of Rod Hightower away

The cost of supporting the two organization is less than it costs for me to fly off for a burger.

Last edited:
I also pay a little extra to the AOPA for their Medical Services Plan. I'm on Special Issuance -----snip-----and I couldn't imagine going through the experience of getting my 3rd Class medical reinstated without the help of the Medical folks at AOPA :eek: ).

To me, the expense of EAA and AOPA membership (and services) is just a part of being able to fly.

Exactly.

If you dont yet need the medical assistance, congrats to you. Hope you never do.

I am a member of lots of aviation groups even type clubs I have never owned or care to own. I like supporting ALL aviation groups. The more aviation groups out there the better for aviation.
Saying that, maybe I ought to stop and pool all that money to donate to this site since this is the only place I get my moneys worth.

WOW! Huge response! Thank everyone for your input. I wasn't sure what to make of the association based on past threads on this forum.

I'll will be a member of AOPA and EAA before going to bed tonight.

Join both

It is relatively cheap to become a member of these two associations. If necessary, save up your spare change for a year and you could join both.

I doubt medical reform would have ever been accomplished without both groups. Medical reform may not be perfect but it will keep many more pilots flying non-light sport airplanes like RV's using a drivers license and making their own educated decisions about their fitness to fly.

AOPA has moved significantly toward homebuilts while EAA has sold its soul. I think that the power lies with AOPA and I've been completely disgusted with EAA for a decade. AOPA gets my money because it at least is honest about its identity.

I think both do some good... AOPA just sucks less.

Last edited:
I dropped my AOPA when Phil Boyer was still there and solidifying his power with his ridiculous "us against them" mentality when it came to handling the media. He made the situation much worse than it needed to be .

I like Mark Baker (AOPA prez) and I think they're pushing all the right buttons and I'm friendly with Dave Hirschman and Paul Harrop. They do great work. So I'm happy to support them.

The ONLY thing that bugs me is AOPA's PAC contributes based only on aviation and I think there's more to a politician than whether he favors aviation or not. Now, whether any of that money comes from dues (which are nothing, really), I don't know.

EAA? Cripes I want my ashes scattered in homebuilt camping. That's what EAA means to me.

Jack Pelton has been phenomenal and has almost -- almost -- washed the stain and stench of Rod Hightower away

The cost of supporting the two organization is less than it costs for me to fly off for a burger.

Spot on Bob. Phil turned me away from AOPA back then and I recently rejoined a couple years ago, and Hightower was giving me the push as well. Since then, I feel both organizations are our voice. I don't always agree with their method of operation, but I agree with the cause. Therefore, both org's should garner all of our support.

I forgot to mention; Both org's provide me some good reading every porcelain morning!

Last edited:
EAA

AOPA has moved significantly toward homebuilts while EAA has sold its soul. I think that the power lies with AOPA and I've been completely disgusted with EAA for a decade. AOPA gets my money because it at least is honest about its identity.

I think both do some good... AOPA just sucks less.
Plus one
The EAA affiliates are doing a much better job than EAA itself. I especially like Vintage Magazine. Sport Aviation magazine continues its long downhill slide that started with the retirement of the late Jack Cox, one of the top aviation writers of all time

Piling on but AOPA provides value to me almost daily: emails with links to interesting articles, outstanding safety videos and exercises online, and "heads up" emails about TFRs in my region.

EAA? How could you not see the value? Oshkosh, publications and emails, tech counselors, videos, and what about their influence over Part 23 rewrite and approval of Dynon and Garmin devices for use in certified aircraft. This is good stuff for all of us.

Plus one
The EAA affiliates are doing a much better job than EAA itself.

Plus two.

Member of both.

Each serves a different purpose (AOPA twisting arms in DC with top-down supply benefits to aviation vs cultivating grass roots bottom-up demand from EAA chapters).

In my book EAA HQ plays second fiddle to AOPA when it comes to advocacy. In EAA's defense, once homebuilts achieved fairly equal operation rights to standard category aircraft EAA's advocacy efforts became somewhat redundant. But to me, EAA is the chapters, not the HQ.

I reckon if EAA had continued a legacy of fighting to keep aviation affordable for the little guy that the Part 23 re-write would have occurred, or at least would be EAA's HQ's top priority. I'm not sure what EAA HQ's top priority is at the moment that is different than AOPA.

I didn't vote...yet. I don't know what to say.

I love Experimental Aviation but best I can tell EAA does not represent me very well. Oh they do have a voice if government but still they are leaning the wrong way in my opinion. Now our local EAA chapter is another story! It is the best thing going. We have somewhere around 100 members and usually 50-70 people show up every month. Some do not have enough money to buy a pilots license and there are some that have complete squadrons of P-51 T6 etc type airplanes. Spam cans, all sorts of experimental types. some of the members work in aerospace jobs its a great thing. Now to be a member of the local chapter is only $20 but you must be a member of National EAA. This is about the biggest benefit I get out of the national program best I can tell. The magazine they publish comes to my mail box and gets skimmed through and the completions looked at but I don't really read it very well.

Several years ago I decided to get the lifetime membership because I see myself always being a member of the local chapter and there were a few benefits to the lifetime deal. Banquet dinner at air venture, Flight pavilion at air venture, jacket, cap, etc. They bragged this all up when trying to get me to sign up for lifetime then a year later limited the lifetime members to 1 or the other on some of the things promised. I call it false advertisement. :mad:

AOPA I was never a member of until my insurance offered a discount greater than the price of the membership. Now I get there magazine also....

Heh. This thread reminds me of stumbling into the airport terminal at KSGS where the old men are sitting around kvetching that things aren't the way they used to be.

Sorry to say that I gave up on AOPA a few years ago when I felt that they were just going in the wrong direction to BUILD general aviation. At my home airport GA is thinning and I reached out to the AOPA to do something, anything that would help grow GA. Yes they do some lobbying, but if they don't try to GROW GA what good is it?

I tried to get them to do something on the local level, and start with the the outrageous taxes we are assessed in many states for the "privilege" of buying, owning and maintaining an aircraft. Deaf ears. They either weren't interested or ???

EAA - well, I fly an experimental airplane so I feel that I must support the EAA. I joined my local chapter because I'm really interested in building. Wrong! They are all about Young Eagles and that's it. Yes I think that Y.E. is valuable to help stimulate GA, but that's all the local chapter is about. Still, I support them and occasionally volunteer to help, but come on! Experimental Aircraft Association is only a name in these parts.

-Marc

I've got two experimental airplanes in my hanger and I'm pretty sure neither wouldn't be there if it wasn't for EAA!.....On the other hand, I have yet to join AOPA again since I resumed my love for flying 10 years ago. I guess I should ante up! :eek:

I quit AOPA years ago when it was apparent they were focused on big-dollar GA (corporate jets, etc.) than smaller stuff.

I was dismayed when EAA seemed to be (and still does, IMO) going the same direction. I'm still in EAA, but mostly for the discount on insurance and a few other minor enticements. Medical reform? Meh...seems we didn't get much reform at all in the end.

I guess they're okay, but they sure seem to have lost a lot of the "E" part of the vision.

Both for us!

....We belong to both, and contribute heavily to help keep them going. Keep
in mind they are our only big voices out there expressing our concerns.

Thanks, Allan...:eek:

I'm an EAA member, but not AOPA. Now that I think about it, I should probably support them too. Neither organization is run exactly the way I would choose (EAA is pretty good though), but there are not many other options out there to give us a voice.

In the scheme of things those of us who fly are a tiny minority, and the things that are important to us are not even on most people's radar politically.

I am less and less impressed with AOPA's relevance for my flying, ownership, maintenance, etc. I find their magazine of little interest and plan to drop my membership when it expires. I think EAA offers for to our community along with KitPlanes and Flying magazines.

I tried to get them to do something on the local level, and start with the the outrageous taxes we are assessed in many states for the "privilege" of buying, owning and maintaining an aircraft. Deaf ears. They either weren't interested or ???
Five or so years ago I tried to get the EAA involved with trying to remove property taxes for the original builders of airplanes, cars, and boats. My thinking was that the person who builds a vehicle will have contributed to the local economy as they built, even if the majority of the kit came from somewhere else. Including cars and boats would probably give us enough momentum. The second owner would have to pay the full tax, as they do today. I couldn't get anyone to talk to me. (If any of you have a suggestion, please contact me.)

I'm a member of both, so yes. There is some overlap between the two but here's how I look at it: AOPA is my general political advocate as a GA pilot and and aircraft owner. EAA is my advocate for all things E-AB. The bottom line is there is strength in numbers - just ask other organizations like the NRA or AARP.

My sentiments almost exactly. I dropped AARP when they supported Obamacare.

But - the big news is . . . I only read KitPlanes!!

Oh boy. A discussion about taxes and Obamacare. Swell. Just swell.

This is the sort of stuff that drove me away from the local EAA chapter. Went to a couple of meetings, and the first hour was a bunch of bitching and griping about the President, and how they couldn't fly their model airplanes when he was in town, and how awful he was, blah blah blah.

I don't need politics mixed up with my fun.

That, and their hangar was an absolute wreck...yeah, you could borrow tools...IF you could find them. Crammed end-to-end with s**t everywhere, dirty, messy...

No thanks. Got better things to do with my time than listen to politics. I'd rather build and fly.

This is the sort of stuff that drove me away from the local EAA chapter.//

That, and their hangar was an absolute wreck...

At least the chapter had a hangar! We have nothing, nada, zip. We meet in a loaned room at an FBO that is changing hands this month. I only know of one guy that is building, and I haven't seen him in a meeting in a while.

-Marc

This is the sort of stuff that drove me away from the local EAA chapter. Went to a couple of meetings, and the first hour was a bunch of bitching and griping about the President, and how they couldn't fly their model airplanes when he was in town, and how awful he was, blah blah blah.

That, and their hangar was an absolute wreck...yeah, you could borrow tools...IF you could find them. Crammed end-to-end with s**t everywhere, dirty, messy...

No thanks. Got better things to do with my time than listen to politics. I'd rather build and fly.

I haven't been in a local chapter in about 10 years. Left when it -- a 503(C) -- donated money to local politicians who were "aviation friendly." Pretty sure that's a violation of the law, but whatever.

I know EAA stresses joining local chapters, but finding a good one is awfully difficult. I want to talk about BUILDING and MAINTAINING aircraft. I don't want to talk about the next pancake breakfast/fundraiser.

That said, as a former newsletter editor at a chapter, it's awfully difficult to get chapter members involved. Many would just rather talk about what's wrong with what the people who ARE involved are doing. It's an old-age trait, I think.

Eventually, even with RV clubs, they morph from being builder-focused to being more social clubs. It's hard to get the minimum daily requirement of airplane from social clubs.

But, as here's the important part is national EAA is trying. They had tried the EAA supplied chapter programs (which I think they're doing anymore, but they tried) . And AOPA's focus on trying to set up flying clubs is right on target. Innovative. Will it work? Beats me. I support the fact they're trying. It's all I can ask for.

Does everything they're doing apply to and interest me personally? No. But I'm also getting to the age where I want to leave something behind. Leaving behind planes in the sky that don't bear some corporate airline logo seems like the least I can do.

couple of points:

In organizations like AOPA and EAA, not much gets done without volunteers. Sure they have paid staff, but they rely on a lot of grass roots activists also.

No organization is going to be 100% aligned with everything you want, think or like.

If you are involved in GA, who else is going to represent you?

Quit kvetching and get on board. Your absence is not helping anything. The amount of money you might spend on memberships is insignificant compared to what you spend on your hobby.

Dropped Both

After 26 years I dropped EAA several years ago solely for the reason of the way they treat EVERYONE in the north 40.
( not to mention all the gin sue knife dealers and makeup stand pushers I have to navigate looking for all the Aviation dealers that have left )

Dropped AOPA 2 years ago due to the large unexpected dues increase.

Im involved in this sport because I want to?... not because I have to.

Kit planes suites my needs just fine?.. Thanks Paul Dye and All who contribute.
:)

I believe you should join and support at least one of the two organizations, as they are an effective voice for GA in Washington D.C. Their work to get the medical reform passed will save me a lot more $ each year than the dues for both organizations!

Regarding the local chapters - the focus and quality of the chapters varies depending on the membership and volunteer officers. I'm fortunate to live in the Houston area where there are 3 active chapters, so I was able to sample each chapter's meeting before deciding which one to join. Each chapter was very different from the other 2, and I joined the one that fit me best. But like any volunteer organization I have ever belonged to, 10% of the members do 99% of the work, often without much thanks from the other 90%. I've almost always become involved after the first year or so, as that is the best way to have a voice in the club's direction and to give back to the membership.

So in summary, if you want an advocate for GA in Washington, and to see GA continue to survive with the freedoms we currently have, I suggest you support at least one of these organizations.

Dave

I have seen what GA is like in other countries, and it is mostly non-existent, or prohibitively expensive. I don't pay dues for the magazines, I pay dues for the advocacy.

No one else is going to do the advocacy for us, and lone voices are not going to persuade anyone to keep your local airport open or to hold down rising user fees. This is the trend. It is only going to get worse.

If we don't support GA and EAB through organizations like EAA and AOPA, we will find that we won't be allowed to enjoy our passions and hobbies. Again it's not about ME. It's about the broader trends threatening our community... Issues that we must be unified on to do anything about. Advocacy is not free.

I am a member of the AOPA by choice. I think they have the power to get things done.

I am a member if the EAA because I HAVE to be to be in the IAC. I dislike the EAA and would drop it in a second if I had the chance. IMO< they care more about putting on the airshow each year than day to day operations. They focus more and more on GA and not Experimentals every single day.

Abandoning them might give them a wake up call... But I can't since I want to be in the IAC.

Both. I joined AOPA when I started VFR training in 2001 and have been ever since. I agree that they are the best big voice for us small plane guys. EAA I've been off and on for the last 30 yrs, but I'm on now cause I'm building and my local chapter are a bunch of good eggs. But in reality, I only read the magazines when I'm stuck somewhere on a long trip, and they dont really do much for my knowledge base even then. Still lamenting the demise of LightPlane Maint mag however.....wish one of these orgs would have sucked them up as an insert mag - too much old-head DIY knowledge lost there.

Oshkosh

I am a member of the AOPA by choice. I think they have the power to get things done.

I am a member if the EAA because I HAVE to be to be in the IAC. I dislike the EAA and would drop it in a second if I had the chance. IMO< they care more about putting on the airshow each year than day to day operations. They focus more and more on GA and not Experimentals every single day.

Abandoning them might give them a wake up call... But I can't since I want to be in the IAC.
Plus one.
Years ago writer Peter Lert called Oshkosh EAA's "sacred money tree". Things have gotten progressively worse since then. EAA is no longer a member organization that respects its members. The EAA that I joined in 1959 is long gone.

I am in both for the advocacy reasons listed above. I agree the EAA goes a bit out of its way to disguise the meaning of the E in EAA. I think they want to put forth a welcome mat to all aviation. If the experimental aspect is emphasized too much, the guy in the 172 might mistakenly decide he should not crash our party. I personally welcome all pilots. They are the RV builders of tomorrow. I personally feel a little like a "third" wheel when I fly in to a local Cub flyin. I know my non Cub is welcome, but its not a Cub.

I think this link below alone is worth your dues and shows support to home buiding. And just like VAF you can get to it for free if you want to.

http://www.eaavideo.org/channel.aspx?ch=ch_hints_sheetmetal

Last edited:
Back