What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron Trim

drone_pilot

Well Known Member
I have the manual aileron trim that came with my kit. Is it really needed/worth installing? I'm going Dynon Skyview with autopilot. Not sure if it would substitute for aileron trim.

Your thoughts?

Simple to install. A bit of fiddling to get the friction block adjusted, but very useful.
You are not going to fly with the autopilot on all the time.
I wouldn't be without mine. Might check out an electric trim if I build again (which my wife tells me is never going to happen)

Both my previous and current autopilots exhibit repetitive roll correction if I do not use aileron trim to compensate for fuel burn. (usually 30, 60 , 60 etc) Its like riding on a bad concrete slab highway or a dripping faucet.

I think you would prefer to have the aileron trim.

So does the electronic aileron trim gain you any advantages over the manual trim?......other than another cool button on the stick grip? :)

Aileron trim

I have had both, and definately like the electric with button on the stick the best. Makes trimming easy and painless.

Put it in. You will find it highly useful. Also, autopilots do not like out-of-trim conditions; they twitch. Attach to the springs per the plans. The one bad thing about Van's design is that position is held by friction (unless you use the electric motor). Trim position can move with vibration, and tightening the grip force requires removing the seat pans. I've used a pin through the trim handle into an arc of drilled holes for mechanical stops.

John Siebold

Aileron trim

Did you connect the electric trim to a tab, or to the "spring" thing?

You just connect an electric servo to operate the trim springs instead of the the ugly lever between the seats. Works great especially with the roll and pitch operated from buttons on the stick.

Back