What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Scratch Removal Help

Hi Hoodie,
I used the kit from Spruce on a scratch that I put on my canopy on my RV12.
It was a pretty deep scratch. After using the product per instructions, you could not tell that it was even scratched.

Having worked with a bit of plexi I will say one thing. Don't get in a hurry to jump to a finer grit to soon. Oh ya how long is to soon.? you will see.
The only thing to help that is experience. Unless you have somebody else do it.
Have at it.
If you buy the Aircraft Spruce kit just follow the instructions.
It's really fun magic when you get a good job. You'll see.
Art

+1 for the Novus kit. I had a deep scratch, which I worked out with 400 grit wet or dry, then 600, then 1,000, 1,500 and finally 2,000 before using the kit. All that was done wet, wiping with clean rags frequently. The whole thing didn't take very long and worked perfectly. I don't think I used more than two or three square inches of each sandpaper, at the most.

Dave

I used the Scratch Off kit on several scratches and some overspray. It wasnt as fast as I expected and like Dave said, dont jump a grit too fast. When you go to the next grit you will have to work even longer to smooth out what you should have already done.

It is scary rubbing sandpaper on your canopy. To help get the nerve, try it on your car headlights or a pair of old glasses or pick up a piece at HD. Practice - there is enough in the kit to do a couple of canopies so git it a try.

During construction I somehow scratched my canopy and used the Micromesh system to fix it. Apparently it worked because I don't remember where the scratch was and couldn't find it now if I tried.

The main takeaways are, don't skip steps, and be prepared to feather waaay outside the bounds of any original damage, and have infinite patience.

Has anyone noticed any distortion in the canopy after sanding out a scratch?

If memory serves, when I was in the Navy, we had some bad scratches in the F-4 canopies, caused mostly by helmet hardware scratching the inside of the canopy. After the techs buffed out the scratches, the canopies were much worse, and in some cases had to be trashed.

The smooth "cups" that removed the scratches actually became miniature lenses, and distorted the view, sometimes pretty badly.

I can look past a scratch, but not a "lens".

Has anyone noticed this issue?

Has anyone noticed any distortion in the canopy after sanding out a scratch?

If memory serves, when I was in the Navy, we had some bad scratches in the F-4 canopies, caused mostly by helmet hardware scratching the inside of the canopy. After the techs buffed out the scratches, the canopies were much worse, and in some cases had to be trashed.

The smooth "cups" that removed the scratches actually became miniature lenses, and distorted the view, sometimes pretty badly.

I can look past a scratch, but not a "lens".

Has anyone noticed this issue?
I feathered mine out quite a ways, by the time it was done a pretty good percentage of the canopy was affected. I've never noticed any distortion.

Back