What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fist flight wheel pants

laz

Well Known Member
I have read several threads and was wondering what the basic consensus is about wheel pants on or off for the first flight? My Plane is done and inspected and the Engine was run for 1 1/2 hours by the engine builder, so Initial drag may not be much of a factor. I will be flying off pavement.

I'd fly with 'em. The main benefit is your engine will stay cooler because you'll be going faster and getting more cooling airflow. The second benefit is that your airplane will climb faster, putting you out of the low altitude engine loss danger zone faster. Beyond that, if you lose the engine later in the flight, you'll have better glide performance with the pants on.

You want to give yourself the benefit of every advantage, large or small...

Vans guidance (RV-6/6A)

I have read several threads and was wondering what the basic consensus is about wheel pants on or off for the first flight? My Plane is done and inspected and the Engine was run for 1 1/2 hours by the engine builder, so Initial drag may not be much of a factor. I will be flying off pavement.

IIRC, the guidance provided in the builder's manual (mine RV-6/6A) suggests that the nose gear pant should be installed and always used, but the mains should be exposed on the initial flight(s) for the purpose of exposing the brakes. Will give access and visibility to monitor brake operation (leaks?) during the earlier flight tests.

Due to 'get airborne-itis' I chose to fly naked for all of Phase 1, and probably would NOT do that again beyond the first few flights. I concluded that W&B, and other performance measurements during Phase 1 should be done with 'final configuration'. Factors such as speed measurements, stall, etc are affected by the wheel fairings, but it's not significant on the first flight.

Since you asked about first flight, it seems you intend to focus on the start of testing. Congratulation on the approaching First Flight.

lots of issues that you need to prioritize, engine cooling, brake leaks, imbalanced flight due to miss rigged gear fairings. For me it was the engine cooling factor with piston sprayers and 200 HP, so I was fully dressed.

I'll be kind of a dissenter and say fly without them. At least for me I wasn't really wanting to go fast during those initial test flights, plus I wanted to easily inspect the tires and brakes after each flight and taking those pants on and off can be a PITA. Heck, I didn't even fit my wheel pants or gear fairings until months after my first flight. In the end though, I don't think it really matters one way or the other. YMMV.....

+1

I'll be kind of a dissenter and say fly without them. At least for me I wasn't really wanting to go fast during those initial test flights, plus I wanted to easily inspect the tires and brakes after each flight and taking those pants on and off can be a PITA. Heck, I didn't even fit my wheel pants or gear fairings until months after my first flight. In the end though, I don't think it really matters one way or the other. YMMV.....

This is where I am - no wheel pants, but gear fairings installed. Our local gang had a discussion and with brakes at the center, the need to bed them in- it is pants off for first flight, but will be added for #2. No change of overheating brakes and fires or anything risky that way. Also will help the drag for landing sequence. Plenty cool for the engine this time of year, so that worry does not exist.

Laz - did you already run the engine in the airframe? You should do that just for proof positive of no leaks and that sort of thing. I will be preheating pretty good to ensure the oil is warm for TO. I am in the same situation as you. Signed off, all calibrated now, hitting the final details and waiting for weather to offer up a good day for 1st flight.

I used the cut down HF transmission stand for by tail stand, and set the calibrations that way. Still not sure what exactly to do on the magnetometer though.

Last edited:
Hi Bill,

Thanks for asking. Yes I did run the engine twice now not the airframe. Good that I did because off a loose B nut on the prop oil line in front on the engine. Spent some time cleaning it up. The second run was make for the FAA inspector who asked to see it run, with times with the cowl off.

The only thing left to do is the Magnetometer swing, Calibrate fuel tanks and run in the Matco brakes a per their instructions.

I am making the tail wheel lift for myself and a couple of friends who are building RV's . My problem is I am a tool freak and can fabricate most anything in my shop. I think there is a twelve step program to help me but probably too late.

Christer at Stein ari said just get the plane away from big metal and use your cell phone to find north and follow calibration procedures on uint Mine is a G3x

I will just look for a good day and will probably fly with pants on, primarily because it is such a pain to remove the gear leg fairings on the 8.

I have a lot of tail wheel time but also went to Texas to fly Bruce Bohanan's RV8 . did about 3.5 hours of landings (36). Bruce is a great instructor and the time and money were well with it.

Where are you located?

Mike

Last edited:
Back