What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

As Smooth as Possible

istrumit

Well Known Member
OK...calling all engine experts.

What are the top three ways to make an IO540 run as smoothly as possible.

Prop Balance ?
Port Flowing ?
Injector adjustments ?

Come my next condition inspection, I am thinking I might have some extras done.

Scott

I suggest starting with injectors, because it is easy and relatively inexpensive.
Then decide if you want the prop/engine balanced.

Porting will not make a measurable difference.

If you always run ROP, balancing the injectors will not make a big difference.
If you run LOP (as I do), then balancing is required. I changed out 4 of the 6 injectors - so a little over $100 to get a gami spread to go from 1.5 gph to 0.1 gph.

Prop balancing should be the first thing you do. Your cowl hinges will thank you as well.

Carl

Vibration

I have flown a bunch of 0 540 and IO540 powered airplanes. The only ones that were really bad were the early Cherokee 235's, both fixed pitch and Hartzell Constant Speed. All the 250/260 Commanches and all the Pitts S2B's I have flown were all quite smooth.

I tend to run LOP, and #2 peaks first by a lot. So, injector balancing would help.

But, also, I think prop balancing is in order.

Who does that sort of thing ? Is this a standard A-n-P service or do I need to search out side of my area (Nashville) ?

I tend to run LOP, and #2 peaks first by a lot. So, injector balancing would help.

But, also, I think prop balancing is in order.

Who does that sort of thing ? Is this a standard A-n-P service or do I need to search out side of my area (Nashville) ?

A lot of A&Ps do this, but many EAA chapters now own one of the new style prop balancing analyzers. Recommend you ask around.

Carl

Prop

If you strike out elsewhere the closest prop shop may do on aircraft balancing. I believe that Lycoming for quite a while now has been doing a better job of internally balancing the engine.
Almost all of the custom engine builders do a very precise job of balancing engine internal components.

Three blade prop?
Not likely to help. A 3-blade prop on a 6-cylinder engine beats like a 2-blade prop on a 4-cylinder engine. That's why 3-blade Catto's run so nicely on O-320's and O-360's, the number of blades isn't an integral multiple of the cylinders.

For a 6-cylinder engine, you'd need a 4-, or even better a 5-, blade prop to smooth out the prop-to-cylinder ratio. But by that point you're losing a lot of efficiency in your propulsion... Might look cool though... :)

SDS EFI/EI with individual fuel trim control. Available first week in October for 6 cylinder engines. Can get the same AFR in each cylinder at any rpm and MAP setting without flight testing, removing the cowling and trying different nozzles. All at the touch of a few buttons from in the cockpit with the EFI.

The idle is also noticeably smoother than mechanical injection due to superior fuel atomization and metering.

The high energy spark from the EI will reliably light mixtures leaner than 18 to 1 and with total advance adjustability, allows you to optimize the PCP for max fuel economy at any mixture setting.

Lancair fleet with IO-550 engines had a generic vibration problem, or still has. The factory, LOBO, Hartzell, and Lord spent a lot of engineering hours trying to figure it out. To make a long story short, Lord came up with different mounts for the front and back that solved the problem. I have no idea is this information is applicable to your problem, but here it is:

What we're recommending is using two J?9613?76 mounts in the rear and two J-7764-31 isolators in the front positions. We performed a 6 degree of freedom dynamic analysis with this mount system and it provides good isolation and should also provide long life.

If you want more info on the Lord mounts contact Sue Cermak [[email protected]] or Paul Snyder [email protected]

The full story is available at the Lancair Owners and Builders website.

On thing I thought I should say, after thinking about it.

The vibration is small...just enough to trip my OCD..

And, here is the key part...

I does *not* seem to change with RPM.

So, maybe I have a wheel pant fluttering ? I do have a wheel that vibrates on taxi, so maybe I have shaken the wheel pant loose a bit.

Flying in a plane that hasn't had the prop balanced is like riding in a car that hasn't had it's tires balanced.

Also takes stress off of airframe and engine parts with reduction in vibration.

Best bang for the buck for a perceivable improvement in smoothness.

check out www.jimjeffriesairworks.com dynamic prop balancing.

He is located in Mississippi but travels all over the country and TN not that far away if you feel like a short hop or he may be traveling through your area. His credentials speak volumes and I can vouch for his work. Visit the web site if you want to see some sweet planes he has worked on.

Guess you could say I'm a fan.

Last edited:
That's not correct in my experience

I've flown a number of planes and the three blade is always smoother. My three blade MT IO-540 is orders of magnitude smoother than my buddy's two blade Io-540.
Also it helps if Barrett Engines massages the engine first.:)
My IO-540 and three blade is so smooth that the guys on the airport say they can always tell it's my RV-10 because of the silky sweet smoothness.

Not likely to help. A 3-blade prop on a 6-cylinder engine beats like a 2-blade prop on a 4-cylinder engine. That's why 3-blade Catto's run so nicely on O-320's and O-360's, the number of blades isn't an integral multiple of the cylinders.

For a 6-cylinder engine, you'd need a 4-, or even better a 5-, blade prop to smooth out the prop-to-cylinder ratio. But by that point you're losing a lot of efficiency in your propulsion... Might look cool though... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've flown a number of planes and the three blade is always smoother. My three blade MT IO-540 is orders of magnitude smoother than my buddy's two blade Io-540.
Also it helps if Barrett Engines massages the engine first.:)
My IO-540 and three blade is so smooth that the guys on the airport say they can always tell it's my RV-10 because of the silky sweet smoothness.
I suppose I over-stated that a bit... On two otherwise identical setups, three blades will be smoother than two, yes, but you could get even smoother if you increased the blade count so the piston to blade ratio wasn't an integer.

As you confirmed, careful static balancing of the engine and prop separately, and then dynamic balancing of the entire system, will probably get you so close to smooth you wouldn't notice the improvement with more blades.

I use the Dynavibe balancer and routinely get down to .01-.03 IPS. My RV-10 with a 3 blade MT is at .01 IPS and it is noticeably smoother than 2 blade RV-10's I have flown. So much so that you start to notice other things making noises!

Vic

I use the Dynavibe balancer and routinely get down to .01-.03 IPS. My RV-10 with a 3 blade MT is at .01 IPS and it is noticeably smoother than 2 blade RV-10's I have flown. So much so that you start to notice other things making noises!

Vic

If the engine is very, very smooth, I will be able to hear/feel changes in the plane very easily, which is exactly what I am after ("other things making noises")

Back