What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Submitting your RV for judging

jamiller

I'm planning to fly to Sun-N-Fun in my recently completed and newly painted RV and am considering whether to offer it for judging. I read the EAA Airventure judging manual (got it on the EAA website) and wonder:

If you built the plane pretty much entirely by yourself, but had it professionally painted, does this detract significantly from your "score"?

There seems to be a lot of emphasis on documentation of the building process. If you don't go to the trouble to put together a fancy-dancy presentation book, are you wasting your time? Or is just having some pictures of yourself working on it enough to satisfy the judges that you didn't just hire a pro?

Can you still park in the camping area or do you have to leave it "out in front" the whole time?

Anything else that makes a big difference in how you do?

Having been to Sun-N-Fun a couple of times and seen some of the truly awesome works of art, I probably wouldn't have been so presumptuous to even think mine would have a chance, but I got the impression from reading the rules that you don't get more than one bite out of the apple. Maybe the really spectacular ones already have won their medals and there might be a little glory left for my less than perfect first time effort.

Thanks for your advice.

John Miller

Go for it John

I was in your shoes last year which I called "the show year" for our airplane. I did it at Sun 'n' Fun, Oshkosh, Bartlesville and Santa Teresa and we didn't win so much as a lead Lindy for my perfectly beautiful RV-6A. But you know what? it doesn't matter a bit! What matters is we took our shot at it and I have those "feel good" memories for having tried.

Here is what I learned. Documentation is important at Sun 'n' Fun and Oshkosh but not the other two (Bartlesville had spectators vote for their favorite and at Santa Teresa there wasn't even an announcement that they were judging).

At Sun 'n' Fun one judge was visably pleased that I bought my builder's log and he reviewed it but the other two judges did not. He was dissapointed that I did not have my photos. I had not read the judging book then (I did before Oshkosh) so I didn't know what was important.

At Sun 'n' Fun when you fill out the form for judging they ask for safety features you have added - you should be prepared for that and don't be shy about what makes the list. Also I think it is important to get features that you personaly developed for your plane into the judges' minds. If you are there when they arrive you can do that and I saw a lot of "selling" going on and I tried as well at Sun 'n' Fun but I really wasn't prepared so it was just "off the top of my head babble." If the judges do not know what features make your airplane special they cannot include those features in the judging.

At Sun 'n' Fun I had my fire extinguisher in the baggage compartment and that was caught by a judge who asked "Do you think you could get to that fire extinguisher if you had a fire?" I had the fire extinguisher mounted between the seats and I paid to ship my 20 pound photo album to the Appleton FedEx facility (hold for pickup) for AirVenture Oshkosh.

At Sun 'n' Fun I had a ritual of removing the canopy cover and washing the plane every morning so it looked good for the original and any follow-up (second look) judging. Well, they came for a second look and they wanted to photograph the airplane but that was the day I got an extra hour of sleep so when they came for that visit, the canopy cover was still on the plane. I was told that they were very disappointed but took a photograph anyway after some deliberation.

Timing is important and I think getting judged too early could work against you. One just average looking RV-8 pulled in beside me 45 minutes before the end of the last day's judging and made a good pitch and won an award.

Another thing that I have received from several sources is, there is now an almost overriding emphasis on instrument panel content/technology "more glass is best". This was stated in the awards ceremony at Santa Teresa and in the latest Sportsman Pilot by Jack Cox.

The competition is less at Sun 'n' Fun than Oshkosh so submitting your plane for judging there is a good idea.

Competition is tough but whether you win or lose it is the experience and the memories that are important. As they say, Give it your best shot and enjoy the show.

Bob Axsom, RV-6A N710BJ (Blue Bird)

Last edited:
Judging

...One just average looking RV-8 pulled in beside me 45 minutes before the end of the last day's judging and made a good pitch and won an award....
Not really fair. RV8s are so nice looking, they really should not be in the same category as other aircraft. :)

Having won awards at Sun-N-Fun 2 years in a row with my -6, I can tell you that, 1/ It helps to have a presentation book to document your building process. 2/ Have the airplane clean and neat looking. (not a cluttered baggage compartment) 3/ Try to be there when the judges come by so you can "sell" your airplane. 4/ Point out safety features, especially one that you have added. 5/ Probably the most important thing (and this was the hardest for me to learn) DON'T POINT OUT DEFECTS. Every airplane has them and they won't notice if you don't point them out.
Mel...DAR

P.S. We had some problems with the judging procedure at Santa Theresa last year. Judging procedure was suposed to have been including in the handout you got at registration. This year we will be taking a whole new approach to judging. Remember, this is a laid back fly-in and not to be taken to seriously.

Don't forget the engine

First of all......there is NO shame in NOT winning an award at any of the big shows......as mentioned...there are LOTS of beautiful RV's....but you need to remember that you are competing against all the Lancairs too :^).

My personal opinion is that you are better off having built and painted the plane on your own (although paint is not a requirment)...I think the judges appreciate the spirit of the homebuilt airplanes and are finally started to give less points to the 'hired guns' airplanes. Many folks hire out the panel...the interior....the paint...etc. The judges catch on pretty quick.

Bring your book?....ABSOLUTELY...and display your book...put it on your wing for everyone to see. If it's a tie and you have your book and the other guy doesn't...you win.

Make sure your engine compartment is EVERY bit as nice as your airplane....and REMOVE your cowl everyday at the show. The judges can't judge what they can't see.

Timing doesn't matter....points do.....the poster who said an RV that parked after he did and won the award......well.....I'm sure the other plane deserved it.

You can get judged where ever you park....camping is no exception.

Hope this helps.

Rick Gray in Ohio at the Buffalo Farm - RV6 (sold) w/too many awards to mention....including Oshkosh and Grand Champion Sun 'n Fun....RV8 completed, RV4 prepping for paint, RV10 and F1 Rocket under construction.

"I did it at Sun 'n' Fun, Oshkosh, Bartlesville and Santa Teresa and we didn't win so much as a lead Lindy for my perfectly beautiful RV-6A."

Bob that's priceless. You made my day! Maybe they should offer a lead Lindy for the worst airplane they they judge at each event. Wouldn't that be interesting in a trade a plane add one day. RV-6, 200TT airframe, 163,000miles and 200hours on a Volkswagon engine, Beautiful silver, mustard, green, and pink paint. Must see to believe. Winner of 2006 Sun N Fun "Lead Lindy." Serious offers only.

If I remember correctly, the presentation is worth 10% of the total judging points. 10 points out of 100 total I think. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

So if you do nothing for presentation you are already out 10 points.

If you work hard to get the full 10 points for presentation, it can help you score higher than someone with a nicer finished airplane but no preparation.

I also second the suggestion of safety and custom modifications. Their is another points catagory that these fall into that many "Contestants" never get any points in. Between these two catagorys alone there is 20 points up for grabs.

Download the EAA Judging standards manual from their web site http://www.eaa.org/judging/

Scott

Builders log info

I could see displaying a builders log with the unique items that set your plane apart from others, but to have the log of the basic construction is a waist of good useful load when traveling.

I have not seen the specific criteria, but agree that a self painted airplane should be worth more points than a $10,000 custom job if all other aspects are equal.

I don't know all that goes in to the various judgings, both official and unofficial, but I do know a couple years ago the Oshkosh Grand Champion didn't get a mention at Sun-n-Fun the following spring. The owner's thoughts were that they want the winners to stay the whole week, and he was only at S-n-F for a couple days.

Alex Peterson

Of course they would like the winners to stay, but it does not affect the judging. I left both times before the end of Sun-N-Fun. The second year, the judges came by as I was leaving and asked if I could stay for the awards banquet, but I had to leave because of incoming weather.
Mel...DAR

Back