What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stewart Warner Oil cooler "is it worth it"

Bryan B

I'm New Here
I have a Lycoming O360A1A and will be operating in Northeast Ohio, I am ordering my oil cooler along with other firewall forward components this week. I've been reading threads about people operating in hotter climates with the same engine having high oil temps. It seems like the fix has been The Stewart Warner oil cooler along with correct baffles and the airbox going to the oil cooler. I will be mounting the oil cooler on the firewall. The question is do I spend $179.00 on a SW style oil cooler or do I just bite the bullet and spend the $410.00 and get the original. Is there a great diffrence ?

Thanks for your input.
Bryan B

I'm having no oil temp problems, or any temp problems with my 0-360-A1A using the standard Van's oil cooler mounted to the back of the baffles. I live in Wisconsin, but do fly in the SW and SE.

I have had this setup in my Cherokee and in my 7A with good results. Over 100 hrs so far and no complaints. Seems like there is so little room under the cowl, I would hate to add more hoses and brackets.

Roberta

oilcooler7sd.jpg

Last edited:
Bryan B said:
I have a Lycoming O360A1A and will be operating in Northeast Ohio, I am ordering my oil cooler along with other firewall forward components this week. I've been reading threads about people operating in hotter climates with the same engine having high oil temps. It seems like the fix has been The Stewart Warner oil cooler along with correct baffles and the airbox going to the oil cooler. I will be mounting the oil cooler on the firewall. The question is do I spend $179.00 on a SW style oil cooler or do I just bite the bullet and spend the $410.00 and get the original. Is there a great diffrence ?

I think there may be truth to the SW being nicer. However, for a O360A1A (same engine as mine - not the 200hp version) you will be fine with the cheap clone. I'm based in San Francisco, and did my test flights in 90-100 degree weather in nearby Tracy. Never a problem with cooling. Now that winter is here I'm thinking about adding a vane because if anything things are a little cooler than ideal.

My experience has been that the "stock" Van's cooler, which is apparently a clone of the "real" Stewart Warner cooler, if anything works too well. I've actually had problems getting oil temperatures up to desireable levels and have had to restrict airflow considerably - even in OAT as high as 60. I'm likely to purchase and install their newly offered adjustable restrictor baffle plate which allows cockpit adjustment. I would recommend installing this initially.

I have RV8-A with O-360-A1A.

John Miller

Thanks for the input Everyone

It sound like the SW Style from vans will do the job. The reason I was going to install this on the firewall is to reduce the chances of the baffles getting cracked from vibrations. Maybe I should re-think the location a little.
Thanks again for the input.
Bryan B

Yes and be careful

Yes the SW is worth it.
You get what you pay for.
Be careful, Vans' SW "STYLE" cooler is not a SW, I am not sure they sell SW.
An "other" brand clone cooler will not cool as good as an SW, ever.**
If you got a fire breathing 360 and you don't live in Alaska get a SW.
If you have a O320 and live in cooler climates you probably get away with another cooler.
One of the other coolers was being deceptive with their data, they just are not as efficient as a SW.
You get what you pay for.
Call (800#) or write Pacific Oil Cooler, they can advise and sell overall all coolers. George RV-4/-7

SW are designed to cool at the pressure and mass airflow we see in our aircraft. Lab test with flows and pressures that are unrealistic give meaningless and useless results. The SW has been proven over in the field over the cheap copies. The copies have improved and be careful or part number. One oil cooler maker has glowing lab reports but does not sell that cooler part #, only the older poor performing unit can be bought. I do not know if that is the case anymore, or if they have sold all their old stock you can may now be able to buy the improved version. Regardless the one liners above apply, best cooling is still with a SW, and it is worth the +$400 cost. I am a cheapskate and I would buy the SW again. Many have not, and end up selling their clone and buying the SW eventually.

Last edited:
Back