What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How much is your insurance.

MateoRV7

I'm New Here
Insurance costs how much are you paying and your flying experience please.

I have lots of hours mostly airline. However only 6 tailwheel hours years ago. The insurance lady said at least $2000 a year. WOW how much lower after you gain experience?

Mateo

When discussing insurance, in order to make an apples to apples comparison, there are a number of data points which are needed. Type of airplane, time in type, hull value, type of coverage (full in flight, ground in motion, ground not in motion) who the underwriter is, etc.

You should see a reduction in rates after the first year, assuming you fly enough hours the first year. I believe around 100 hours in type is one of the milestones where rates start to go down, but don't quote me. JT, are you monitoring?

In my case, when I renewed my insurance in April, I paid $921. This is on a 2004 RV-6, hull value $70K, and I had about 150 hours in type at the time. This is ground not in motion coverage. For the first year, I carried full in flight, at a cost of about $1600 IIRC, with a hull value $50K, and 5 hours in type. I increased the hull when I renewed, because of some eqipment I added, and decided that I had it under valued, so it is hard to get a good apples to apples. I do recall getting a quote for the exact same coverage for this year, with my additional time in type, and IIRC it was around $200 cheaper.

Jeff Point
RV-6
Milwaukee

I pay $1975 with Falcon for full coverage and 90K on the hull for my 7A. I have over 800 hrs and over 100 in RVs. Avemco gave me a quote of $1750 for the same coverage. Maybe I'll be in their add next year. :D

Roberta :)

Just so the rest of you don't feel so bad......

I just insured my 8A. I live in Alaska. After going to 7 different sources only one would even give me a quote. "Homebuilt" and/or "Alaska" = the kiss of death. I paid $1100 for $1M plpd with $100K passenger sub-limit - no hull coverage. They would not even consider selling higher limits (not that I could have afforded it anyway). I have 2400 hrs. TT over 30 yrs. with totally clean record, 30 hrs. in this RV.

John Miller

Out of sight

I have been RV-less for several years but when I had my RV-4 full coverage thru the old EAA, aerobatic group deal, it was around $1000 for full coverage on a $45,000 hull. I got quotes on my RV-7 about 6 mo ago, not flying yet and with lots of RV time and total time (airline pilot), I was getting numbers just like the other folks above. I was surprised. I will get liabilty, non-motion and may be motion ground only. I recall it was about what I use to pay for full coverage for my dash 4 , a grand. :eek: Full coverage was up in the teens. Since I don't have an expensive panel and a lot tied up into it I will go with no hull or be "self insured", meaning, A-hanging out. :( G

PS: as a CFI I was thinking about giving dual in my RV-7, but that required full coverage and an additional rider which made me think twice about doing RV instruction. I can still do it for those with their own RV and insurance, but in my own plane it is too expensive. I have to fly with many pilots and charge a chunk of change to justify it (break even). Too bad, I like to teach.

Last edited:
Roberta, Be carefull with Avemco. I was with them for several years before I noticed that they cover family members at only 25%. Since my wife (also a pilot) flies with me about 98% of the time, I switched over to AIG. I now have better coverage for slightly lower cost. I offered Avemco more money to cover my wife 100%, and their reaction was "We just don't do that!" I pay about $1400 for full coverage on my -6, $75K hull. I have just over 1600 hrs. TT, 950 in RVs and fly off my 1500' private strip.
Mel...DAR

Thanks for the tip, Mel.

What do you mean by the 25% coverage for your wife? My hubby isn't a pilot, so I am the only pilot listed on the approved list. He just flies with me.

Roberta

NationAir VanGuard with AIG

I have 1,700+ tailwheel hours and 1,872 total PIC. Airplane will be 8 years since first flight on Saturday. Coverage is $1,000,000 liability with $100,000 per person. Renewed this summer and the price went up $7 from last year. I now pay $311 per year. Yes, Three Hundred Eleven Dollars and No Cents in US Dollars. Gary

Roberta, What I mean is that if something happens, Avemco will only pay 25% of the normal coverage for a family member (pilot or not). I know this doesn't make sense, but it's in their policy. When I questioned them about this, they said, "Well, we give you better coverage in other areas such as coverage when you medical or annual is out of date."
Mel...DAR

RV6_flyer said:
Yes, Three Hundred Eleven Dollars and No Cents in US Dollars. Gary

Wow, that's pretty low. But, just so that it is meaningful- which model RV, hull value, type of policy (full inflight?)

Jeff Point

Back