What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Rear View Mirrors

N788RV

When I first started building my RV-8 I found a link somewhere on how to mount the rear view mirrors from Auto Zone (I think) on the front canopy bow. Now that I am ready to install them I can't find it anywhere. Can somebody provide me some info. Thanks

Autozone Mirrors

Nothing to it! Go buy a pair of mirrors intended to mount under the side mirrors on a Ford truck. Remove the double-sticky foam tape from the inside of the "L", and replace with hook Velcro. Mount fuzzy Velcro patches on your canopy bow wherever you think you might want the mirror. I have four of them on my bow, not because I am paranoid, but because I bought to sets (cause they were cheap), and the easiest place to store them in the cockpit was on the bow....otherwise, they'd just bounce around on the floor.

One note - becasue of the conves surface, they really aren't much use for checking your six - unless the guy is already so close that you're toast. They are great, however, for keeping an eye on your passenger, and making sure they aren't turning green! :D

You can find a picture or two of mine if you go here

Paul

Last edited:
Another way to do it, on an 8 at least, is get plastic conduit clamps with "sticky back" on the mounting tab (Lowes, HD, lots of places). The conduit clamps fit nicely around the front canopy bow and then you stick the mirrors, as noted by Paul above, to the mounting tab. These would be somewhat easier to remove or relocate. Sorry, no picture avail.

RV-8 Mirrors

Thanks Guys, I'm not sure it's what I'm looking for but I'll have to go home and check. I can't follow some of the links at work. The idea I was looking for used a threaded knob and half a piece of aluminum tubing and the mirror. I'll check out the links at home. Perhaps they are better ideas.

RV-8 Mirrors

Thanks for all your help. I found the one I was looking for. If you follow the link it has pictures.

http://www.vansairforce.net/BuilderMods.htm
Mirror Mount
from David Kumhyr <dkumhyr at us.ibm.com>
Here is a simple rear view mirror I made so I could 'check 6' or simply see if my backseater was still having fun. Start with a suction cup mirror from Autozone, grind off the ball mount and add an aluminum mounting plate. The semicircle roll bar mount is a section of left over control rod tube cut in half. The slot is made with a pass of a milling bit (but you could do the same with a drill and a hacksaw). The plastic covered mounting bolt is from Radio Shack. To mount just drill and tap a hole in your roll bar. The only tricky part is to be sure that you drill the mounting holes in the back of the mirror on a drill press with the limit stop set, else you will mar the reflector on the back of the mirror.
Davidk
David B. Kumhyr

Back