What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stick-on Sunscreens?

hevansrv7a

Well Known Member
I've decided to purchase some stick-on sunscreen patches that hold to the inside of the canopy with, I assume, static electricity.

Does anyone have any positive or negative comments about the various products that are out there, including Sporty's, JC Whitney,
this one: http://www.greatbabyproducts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SUNS-10100&Click=862226
or this one:
http://www.handstands.com/retail/automotive-accessories/sticky-shade.php

or even the rigid kind that uses a suction cup?

Thanks.

I though I read somewhere that the stickon type creates a bit more heat on the canopy and that might cause some sort of damage. Dunno if that's true or not.

I have two of the suction cup shades. Work well but if you are tall your head can touch them in flight. Just kind of annoying especially when the side of one of them interferes with the top of your headset band.

They work very well (I used 'em on a Tomahawk for years). However, as previously mentioned, there have been reports of them causing problems on aircraft that are left outside in very hot, very sunny locations. If I recall correctly, Los Vegas in the summer was where someone had his airplane's canopy damaged by heat...

On my 8 (lots of canopy) I didn't have very good luck with the static cling type of sun shades (the ones I got were from Sporty's). I found them hard to get to stick and tending somewhat to unstick at the slightest provocation. My feeling is the curved surface is a lot of the porblem.

I also have used the Rosen shades (also from Sporty's). These are the ones with the two suction cups. They pretty much stay stuck, but the suction cups started to pull out of the mesh with very little manipulation (I glued them in better with Aquaseal). They also are not very "aggressive" - which is to say they don't really block the sun much. Better than nothing, though.

I have been using STATIC CLING sun shades on my RV-6 with slider for 9 years. After 1,972 flying hours, I love them and there has been no damage to the canopy nor any excess heat on the canopy from using them.

The ones I have are solid tint. There are ones that have black DOTS on them. I had the cheap black dots ones that came from Harbor Freight before I upgraded to the expensive ($12 USD) what came from Pep Boys.

I was parked on the ramp at North Las Vegas for one day. There was one gentleman that I met there that reported that the BLACK DOT shade that I had for about one year had damaged his RV canopy from the heat. My canopy was hot above the black dot shade at 1600 local time in the summer. I replaced the BLACK DOT sun shade the following weekend with what I presently have.

The tinted sun shade that I use was cheap, is light, and you can see through it when dog fighting or formation flying. It is over 10 times cheaper than the sliding shade that others use.

I used the static stick on ones for years on the sliding canopy of my first 6A when I lived in Phoenix. I never had any problem caused by using them , but my airplane was inside a hangar except when at flyins on occasional weekends, etc.
I used a plastic squeegy (SPL?) used for installing vinyl graphics to smooth them down before every summer and took them off in the winter.

I always bought them in the baby department at Target.

They need to be installed when they are very warm and flexable.

I use static window tinting from an auto parts store $14 in the summer but never leave them on for more than a few days -heard there could be some etching problems if left on too long. ?? I've had no problems with them on my 6A, but if the slider is open the prop blast can leave them on the taxi-way
Jeff

sunscreen pattern

I bought some static cling sunscreen from Pep Boys sometime back but could never get a shape(s) to fit the canopy of my -4. Does anyone have or know of a source to the correct pattern to get a good fit?

Glenn

Electrostatic sun shield

I have used 2 of them on my -8 for some time until one sunny afternoon I
noticed a ripple in the top of my canopy.
I use a hat now.

Back