What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which intercom?

Stephen Lindberg

Well Known Member
I have narrowed my intercom choice to either a PS Engineering PM 1000II or PM1200. The 1000II ($310) has a manually adjustable squelch. The 1200 ($429) has an automatic squelch that functions without a panel adjustment knob. It is designed for noisey airplanes, ie: open cockpit. The RV7 I flew seemed pretty noisey to me. Question: I am leaning toward the 1200 but I wonder how well the auto squelch feature works. Does anyone have have any experience with the 1200 and care to comment? How is the sound quality? I suspect the 1200 is using some type of digital signal processing and that might degrade the sound quality for the sake of noise reduction. Maybe the 1000II is good enough? Thanks, Steve.

Squelch

sprucemoose said:
Second that. I think manual squelch is worthwhile.
I've never flown with automatic squelch. I've decided to go with the flightcom 403 intercom.

403.jpg

I was pretty close to pulling the trigger for the PS-Engineering 8000b

PMA8000B.gif

but I just could not justify it since I've only got one comm, and no nav stuff. I guess I'll install that or its successor when I go to a full IFR panel.

I have found PS Engineerings Auto squelch to work PERFECTLY without exception in our Cardinal with PSe7000B. I would never go back to the manual squelch. If you want you can wire in a switch to make the intercom go into pushbutton mode instead of auto (Press a button to talk to the other person, instead of the squelch working at all).

Back