What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

front luggage compartment access to instrument panel

flyguy44

Well Known Member
Friend
Since I didn't build it, guess I can ask a dumb question. Whats a recommended way to build access door in back of luggage area to get at back of instrument stack? Its tuff to lay on floor and look up at all that STUFF. :rolleyes:

Baggage area access to instruments

Since I did mine, I've seen several better ways, but here's the way I did it:

(click on the image for more details)

Some have used hinges on the bottom instead of screws and nutplates.

I've also seen some very nice access ports from the top skin.

We put in one that is about the size of the pic in the previous reply but just a little smaller in the vertical dimension. Put a hinge at top and bottom. If you pull the top pin it swings forward and down out of the way. Pull the bottom one too, and the whole thing comes out. It seemed a little flimsy in the vertical so we put a screw and nutplate in the middle of each side. Just two screws to remove then zip and it is out. It is really handy.

Sam Ward

You might consider this as well: What I presume you're after is access to the back side of panel mounted instruments and to 866 bulkhead mounted terminal blocks, transponder, etc. You can achieve this, perhaps better even than with the removable portion of the 866 bulkhead, by making your instrument panel "semi-removable". Since everything on my panel is serviced by one or more electrical wires (no oil pressure line, no mechanical tach cable, etc.), I simply built in a large enough loop in all the wires going to the panel that I can simply unscrew the panel and tilt it horizontal. Great access to everything between the instrument panel and the bulkhead.

And no lying on your back working upside down!

John Miller

I really struggled over the decision to put an access in the back of the baggage compartment - I really wanted to make maintenance easy, but was not really sure I could make a nice "hatch" - and also realized that I'd still be working through a small hole if I did.

What I finally decided was based on my decision to go with a full EFIS panel - the GRT EFIS Display Unit is 7" wide, which means I ended up with a hole that wide and the height of the panel, right in the center - a pretty good access, simply by pulling the Display Units. I finally decided not to cut an access when I realized that in wiring up the panel on the bench, I had built in disconnects for every line, so that I could install and remove the panel in about ten minutes (I've actually pulled it into my lap in five - it takes another five to leverage it out of the cockpit...).

I'm not saying that an access panel isn't a good idea, I'm just saying that there might be alternative solutions if you look at your entire system. The position of my EFIS AHRS box would block most access hatches. Just lay out your systems, and then decide how to do it!

Good Luck,

paul

I agree with Paul...most access requirements can be handled by careful front panel design and build.

The one reason that I might have the front luggage access panel is that it would be a very good access place for fuse replacement if I go with the fuse based design as opposed to the circuit breaker route.

Deene.

Instrument access panel

I built an access panel in the wall of the front baggage compartment. I used a .063 doubler around the perimeter of the access panel and mounted my main and essential buss fuse blocks to the door of the panel (also .063). I used three Dzus fastners to close the door and I can open the luggage door to gain access to my main and essential fuse blocks (my battery buss fuse block is in the aft bagage compartment). It has been very helpful so far to be able to open the door and plug in my USB stick to update my Grand Rapids EFIS as well as have access to all my instruments. My AHRS is set way to the right of my instrument panel so it is not blocking the door.
This has been very helpful to me

Cheers
FM

All this stuff about a removable access panel in flight reminds me of a funny story

A friend of mine who flies a Lancair IVP had a lot of panel work done on it by our local avionics shop (CNX-80, MX-20 etc). On his first flight after the upgrades he found something he didn't like and began fiddling with it while in flight. He ended up shorting something out and the plane went back to the shop for a couple weeks of repair.

When he got it back everything worked perfectly. He noticed that the tech had made up a very professional looking placard and attached it to the top of the instrument panel. It read:

Disassembly of Instrument Panel In Flight Not Permitted

I put this access door in the baggage compartment. What is even more effective in maintenance is to put access on the fuse from the outside. The combination of these 2 makes working behind the panel of an 8 delightful. Also I put one on the left fwd lower fuse to get to the fuel pump and lots of wire bundles going through the firewall. Also easy to work brake resevoir issues through this hatch.
Best.
accesspanel.jpg

Last edited:
Access hatches

Kahuna said:
I put this access door in the baggage compartment. What is even more effective in maintenance is to put access on the fuse from the outside. The combination of these 2 makes working behind the panel of an 8 delightful. Also I put one on the left fwd lower fuse to get to the fuel pump and lots of wire bundles going through the firewall. Also easy to work brake resevoir issues through this hatch.
Those look like great ideas. Do you have more detailed pictures of your hatches? I want to do this but I'm not sure I have the ballz to start chopping on that skin without someone else's pictures!

rv8ch said:
Those look like great ideas. Do you have more detailed pictures of your hatches? I want to do this but I'm not sure I have the ballz to start chopping on that skin without someone else's pictures!

OK lets see if these look ok. No drooling over the 6pack please:)

If you would like the original pics or clarification just let me know. All hatches built the same. A doubler plate rivet'd on to provide support and nutplates. And a cover plate to match the hole. GO for it.

I have yet to go upside down to work on my panel. I will never build another plane with out these simple to install access ports. Oh and the one on the fuse in the rear is to access the ballast, I mean battery, elt, and smoke pump.
hatch1.jpg

hatch2.jpg

wrong link

OK it would not let me post 4 images to the same post so I am making another post for 2 more images for you. Anyone care to guess what that 2" scat tube is doing along the left lower fwd fuse?
hatch3.jpg

hatch4.jpg

Last edited:
hatches

Kahuna said:
OK it would not let me post 4 images to the same post so I am making another post for 2 more images for you. Anyone care to guess what that 2" scat tube is doing along the left lower fwd fuse?
Is that your rear seat heat? Thanks for posting the pictures, they help a lot.

A bit off topic, but still talking about the luggage compartment...

Ever wonder what happens if you forget to lock the luggage compartment?

I have it as a checklist item and I have about 250 hours and 700 takeoffs in my RV-8 and it has only happened once.

Surprisingly it doesn't open immediately on takeoff and when it opens it isn't violent or scary. When it happened to me, I had just turned base after having flown about fifteen minutes from another airport. As if it was on a hydraulic actuator the door just slowly opened right before my eyes. Nothing flew out and the door doesn't vibrate or anything. Almost a non-event actually.

Since it happened I am more careful to do a visual check on the lock during the runup. I would like to have a bit better solution like a lock that you can't take the key out of with it unlocked or maybe an idiot light in the cockpit. Just haven't figured out the best solution yet.

bruce
N297NW

rv8ch said:
Is that your rear seat heat? Thanks for posting the pictures, they help a lot.

Yep thats the rear seat heat. I hope it to be standard on all 8's in a few years(builders doing it themselves) and it may be my only contribution to mankind, or GIBkind as the case may be.
Good Job Mickey.
Best,

could you post the pictures again please?

One of the hazards of book marking a useful spot is that the pictures earlier in the thread may no longer be available.

Do you still have them?

don't forget

If you build you access panel into the aft baggage compartment bulkhead don't forget to include a notch in the top of the access panel to clear the baggage door hinge mounting piece that goes from there to the firewall. Don't ask me how I came by such wisdom.
Mickey: You might want to take a look at this.

I put in a full width access door in the front baggage compartment aft wall. I added a doubler around the opening to restore the lost strength, and hinged the door on the bottom. This access door has been extremely useful.

Pictures here.

Notch for access panel

If you build you access panel into the aft baggage compartment bulkhead don't forget to include a notch in the top of the access panel to clear the baggage door hinge mounting piece that goes from there to the firewall. Don't ask me how I came by such wisdom.
Mickey: You might want to take a look at this.
Thanks - I just checked and it looks like I will need to add a notch - good eye!

....pictures earlier in the thread may no longer be available.Do you still have them?
Lot's of pic's to be found searching the archives. Here's a few:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=45285&highlight=instrument+access

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=48167&highlight=instrument+access

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=27086&highlight=instrument+access

....don't forget to include a notch in the top of the access panel to clear the baggage door hinge mounting piece that goes from there to the firewall. Don't ask me how I came by such wisdom....

Here is a detail closeup of the (clearance) notch required for my installation:

rhlcmq.jpg

Back